Derimming 29 gallon aquarium

A

Anonymous

I got a standard 29 gallon All Glass fish tank and I decided to remove plastic rims of the top and bottom.
Top rim was a bit hassle to remove, but I did it.
Bottom trim came off pretty easy, probably do to the... :( leak between side glass panel and bottom.
Need to completely tear down and reseal.
So I tear it down, clean old silicone and reseal it, using GE Silicone I.
Now tank in the test mode for leak and silicone strength.
Some pics of it
GE Silicone I

After it's been siliconed

Cleaned and ready for test

Filed with water no leaks and glass bowing is about 1/8in

We will see results in by the end of next week if the tank is safe for home use.

sandnuka

You keep water in it for a week before bringing it the house?! wow, that is a good test.... If mine holds water overnight, the son of a gun is coming inside! lol

Freya

You NEED to make sure that Silicone is SAFE!! GE has changed the formula of their silicones and all of them now contain mold inhibitors which will kill fish and such. I know because I used what was suppost to be safe and ended up killing all of the fish in my reef tank as well as a bunch of corals. Just because it says 100% Silicone on it doesn't mean that it is. I don't want you to have to go through the pain that I went through. Please double tripple check that stuff. The silicone that I used had it written in super small print in one spot on the tube of silicone. I will ALWAYS spend the $10 for a tube of aquarium safe silicone and tell everyone about my bad experience if it can save them from killing fish.

shua

might i make a segjest to every one, DAP 100% sillicon is fish safe and just as good as GE if not better imo and sorry to hear about your reef tank true horror story imma go home and check my GE tube that i just got..

Jo-Shua

A

Anonymous

you think i could just take of the top rim of a 20 gallon tank? would it affect anything?

theRedSkull

Guest said:
you think i could just take of the top rim of a 20 gallon tank? would it affect anything?
i have seen old tanks being used without their rims, but im not sure how safe it is, i too am curious...