Demanding our 33 Gallon Long aquariums

Doza

So Ive only seen the 33 gallon long in person once!! and I must say it was a amazing tank! Actually what was really amazing was he had 2 of them set up side by side! leaving 66 gallons of water across a 8ft span!
They were lit up well and planted with smaller plants and dwarf Africans and Bristlenoses and the like!!

You think the 20 long is interesting?!!! Now add another 18" to its length!!!!
Petco can have these in their stores!! The tank is in their system so they must inventory them somewhere in the country!
I called them and talked to a guy who recorded my interest in being able to buy these tanks in stores!!

Currently you can buy them from glass cages for $80!! The thing is then you figure in the shipping and that alone will make you change your mind on buying one!!

There are other online stores that sell these but all of the stores are out of NY for some reason and only offer in-store pick up!
Im thinking that they are manufactured out of NY!

Anyways to the point!
I know on many forums these tanks have been of big interest and would be a great addition for many different setups in both freshwater and saltwater setups. And with their dimensions they are just amazing to look at and these tanks would stack amazingly!!
Why run a 55 gallon for dwarfs and have all the "Air" above be of waste!!??

If you agree with me on my points and you also would like to be able to buy 33 Gallon Longs from Petco I ask you to please give them a call or email, Or hell do both and express your interest in being able to buy these tanks in our stores!!

You can Call them at: (858) 453-7845
Just express what you are wanting and they should transfer you to where you need to be!

Or Email Petco at: http://www.petco.com/content/contactsubtopic.aspx?PC=contactproducts#top

Gryphon

I have only ever seen 1 Petco with a knowledgeable associate who knew what the hell they were doing, and those idiots laid him off.

Petsmart on the other hand seems to have more knowledgeable associates who atleast know the basics. I know the one I go to in Fed way, they've actually asked me what size tank I had when I bought fish.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
They will never sell them for $1 a gallon if that's what your getting at. If you're looking to pay normal retail price. All of our local stores can order that tank in for you no problem. If you ordered that tank with me today, it would be here next Friday for instance. The wholesalers all have this tank sitting in stock.

Fish Addict

I hate petco and petsmart because they are killing all the mom and pops. For that reason alone I try to limit all of my business with them to a minimum. I meet a guy who uses the 33 L as a frag tank and it was going great.

Doza

I wasnt talking about them ever doing them for one dollar a gallon but since you mentioned it, I dont see why they wouldnt sell them under that sale!! They arent of a large size and yes they are a odd tank but so is the 40 breeder and the 33gallon long takes the same trim bands as the 55 gallon which is sold under the one dollar a gallon sale!!! They only take less glass to make!!

Really if you think about it you could almost make 2 33gallon tanks out of a 55 gallon tank if you had a extra set of trim bands! They obviously wouldnt be 33 gallons and would be slightly shorter but you see what i am getting at here. I see no reason why they wouldnt sell a 33 gallon for 33 dollars if they can sell a tank that is significantly larger and takes more glass to make for a mere $22 more dollars.

Too the People that refuse to buy at chain pet stores i can see your point but, Business is business!! I bet every single person still shops online for pet goods and they dont loose sleep over it! Just because the site you buy from isnt in your town or state! They are still taking business away from mom and pop stores!

The huge Discussions and topics slamming petco/petsmart and the like have been all over and thus you can discuss them there!! There is actually a active post about that right now! GO FIGURE! :shock:

So with that said lets redirect this to the subject at hand! Thanks!

Pm'ed Cory!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Doza said:
Really if you think about it you could almost make 2 33gallon tanks out of a 55 gallon tank if you had a extra set of trim bands! They obviously wouldnt be 33 gallons and would be slightly shorter but you see what i am getting at here. I see no reason why they wouldnt sell a 33 gallon for 33 dollars if they can sell a tank that is significantly larger and takes more glass to make for a mere $22 more dollars.
It comes down to the way you can cut up an 8 foot sheet of glass to make tanks. a 33 long doesn't work out as even as a 55 gallon. This is also why 5.5 gallon tanks cost more than a 10 gallon tank at any store. Also it has to do with demand. 55g are sold 100 to 1 vs a 33 long. Thus 33 long are made a lot less. When you buy tanks in bulk you get a better rate. Petco and Petsmart don't stock in the warehouse as many 33 longs.

Doza

I dont see why they dont i would guy 33 gallon longs over say a reg 30 gallon any day! but that also has to do with the fish that you might keep!!

I so wish i could just trim a 55 gallons height down to make it a 30 gallon! :( o well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The tank does have cool dimensions for sure. With all the stores being able to special order this I really dont know why its an issue for Petco to carry them. They will not sell this for any cheaper. I love the 38g tank that Petco carries but it is a specialty size and never is cheap enough to buy when I can get the 40B or 55g for cheaper during the $1 per gallon sale. Why not just give your business to a nice store you respect and just special order it? Its going to be in the same price range no matter where you get it.

A

Anonymous

I have a 40L that I got for $5 from a store in Portland when they went out of business. My tank is just 1" taller and makes a perfect sump.

Doza

I just went to the 2 local feed stores by me and requested a price quote for the tank wont hear back from them until monday!