Decision time

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
my tank is overcrowded and I need to thin it out quite a bit.

Here is where the problem lies. I love all of my fish! And when I get rid of one group the others will take over.....

I have 7 amphs ( red devil, barred Midas, red isletas, Trimac)
A pair ( male and female) of Dovii some of the nicest blues I've seen at this size
A pair ( dominant and sub dominant males) of five spot jewels

If I get rid of the amphs the Dovii will kill the five spot jewels ( only because they are smaller) and then the male will probably kill the female

If I get rid of the Dovii the five spots will kill the amphs or at the very least tear them up

If I get rid of the five spots and the Dovii then the Trimac will kill the other amphs.

Right now the amphs and smaller five spot act as dithers for the male Dovii , the larger five spot and the Trimac .

And no, a 500-1,000 gallon tank is not in the cards.

So quick poll, what would you decide to keep and why?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't kept one personally, but are female dovii as aggressive as the males? Cause they seem just as beautiful. Maybe that would weigh in on what I'd keep.

Madness

Staff member
:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:blush:roll:sick:whistle I would, because of your tank situation, get rid of the Dovii now. Unless you plan on getting him/them a larger (much larger) tank as they grow, then you will eventually have to get rid of them. And now will be much easier than later. I was going to get rid of mine, but once his personality came out and we bonded, he wasnt going anywhere.

Ive never had the 5 stars so that is an easy one for me. :wink

I am partial to the Amphs so I guess the final decision is based on what the tank size is and what could fit and thrive. Sounds like the Trimac is better as a solo pet or a roommate of much larger Amphs/fish. The Midas, Devils and Isletas all will reach 12"+ so that tank will be seriously overcrowded eventually. Sooooo, with that said, I have no idea. :(

Sorry, I tried.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Its tough when there are so many awesome fish out there and we are all restrained due to budget or even just the space for tanks. I think I would have to say the dovii need to go for now... and then eventually some others, lol.

anthony

my tank is overcrowded and I need to thin it out quite a bit.

Here is where the problem lies. I love all of my fish! And when I get rid of one group the others will take over.....

I have 7 amphs ( red devil, barred Midas, red isletas, Trimac)
A pair ( male and female) of Dovii some of the nicest blues I've seen at this size
A pair ( dominant and sub dominant males) of five spot jewels

If I get rid of the amphs the Dovii will kill the five spot jewels ( only because they are smaller) and then the male will probably kill the female

If I get rid of the Dovii the five spots will kill the amphs or at the very least tear them up

If I get rid of the five spots and the Dovii then the Trimac will kill the other amphs.

Right now the amphs and smaller five spot act as dithers for the male Dovii , the larger five spot and the Trimac .

And no, a 500-1,000 gallon tank is not in the cards.

So quick poll, what would you decide to keep and why?
5 spot or trimac depending on what one is looking like its going to be amazing

I'll jump on the ditch the Dovii bandwagon. Like madness said they need such a huge tank truly thrive. For example, compare ike at AP to madness' Dovii...... :)