Dead Snails Smell BAD!

mrsashleyodell

So, I left a bucket of old tank water in the fish room. I'd forgotten I'd thrown some snails in...until I went to empty the bucket today. Is there any other smell that compares to dead snails?

JimA

mrsashleyodell said:
So, I left a bucket of old tank water in the fish room. I'd forgotten I'd thrown some snails in...until I went to empty the bucket today. Is there any other smell that compares to dead snails?
YES!
When I lived in Dutch Hbr, Alaska my 240lb English Mastiff ate a bunch of rotten cod from a trawlers net. He puked it up that night on the carpet, we ripped up the carpet and replaced it! Phucking nastiest chit I ever smelled, and I have smelled some nasty chit!

Fyurae

I made that mistake a while back. WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT CRUSH A DEAD SNAIL. I crushed one up that I thought was alive, underwater, in my tank, and had to drain the tank and clean it to get the smell out.

mrsashleyodell

The most interesting thing is that I've had the same problem with a couple of dead saltwater snails and they smell exactly the same when dead.
\

Kaosu

i had an apple snail about the size of a golf ball get sucked in to my cascade 300 filter..pulled him out(his body was partly sucked in to the tube).and almost puked..the worst part was it the smell got on to my hand from handling the shell i had to scrub my hands like 5 times to get the smell off ...YUCK!!!

mrsashleyodell

I forgot how bad Pulsing Xenia (coral) smells when fragging it. I don't know that it's worse than dead snails, but it's definitely awful and possibly equally smelly.

lilfishie

lol...dead snail smell is worse than xenia IMO...crabs were eating my large golf ball size turbo snail when I got home tonight. I pulled it out of the tank and tossed it into the woods behind the house. Dont want it dieing in the tank.