Dan's Fish

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
This isn't a product review but an online fish monger review.
Some of this I have posted in my Severum collection thread but I wanted a separate place to record this.
I was very excited when I came across Dan's Fish online and to see H. Notatus available they are cb not wc but that is not a problem to me. I did request pictures but received a response that time being limited that was not possible. Dan was very responsive otherwise. The fish reasonably priced so I went for it.
The box arrived Friday morning and all 3 fish were alive. Each one individually double bagged in heat sealed bags. 2 fish are -2in and one is +3in. Since I run the auto water change I used the overflow hose to drip acclimate the newbies. I set up the small fry hatchery for pictures and started with the largest. All 3 looked healthy and fins were intact. I added them to the 220g with out any trouble. My female Notatus doesn't seem to mind their presence with how small they are.
Now, they have settled in and are showing their relaxed colors. I did notice when I added them and more now that they do not look like H.N. They look more like my H. Efasciatus (green/turquoise). I put together a quick collage of comparison picks and an info request. Where had these been sourced and what did the source identify them as? I explained my concern. Dan responded almost immediately. The sev's are out of Indonesia and cost a lot more than regular sev's he has ordered. He asked if they were still to small to fully I'd? I'm not sure.
I am still impressed overall with how these were shipped. Disappointed that I might have just purchased mutts.
Not mine on the left. Upper left is a HN fry. Lower right what I received.Comparing_Heros.PNG

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I just received an email from Dan requesting an update to see if there was any color change or better id. He included a picture of one from the group mine were pulled from. Note the red shoulder.
Edit: I posted this to MFK and one of the other sev keepers id'ed this one as a Rotkiel. o_O
Red Shoulder maybe.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
@Madness you might also consider

Imperial has reasonable shipping and last year did a great Black Friday sale… if you can wait and if they will still have the stock

Madness

Staff member
@Madness you might also consider

Imperial has reasonable shipping and last year did a great Black Friday sale… if you can wait and if they will still have the stock
Oh i can wait. i only hope they have what i want.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I received an email from Dan about the sev's I ordered being the wrong species. He would like to try making it right so ball is in my court for figuring out what I would like to do.
That’s awesome, shows he is a good vendor that stands behind his stuff. I know some would offer to ship out your next order free or give you credit in the amount of the fish you ordered…but in this case it is tough because you ordered a very specific fish and did not get that. Entire transaction credited or refunded? lol, sounds extreme but you really did not get what you ordered.

Let us know what you decide, maybe get a few people in on a group order…

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I received an email from Dan about the sev's I ordered being the wrong species. He would like to try making it right so ball is in my court for figuring out what I would like to do.
I have had a couple of experiences with different online vendors in which I did not get the fishes I ordered, but something related. I believe these were honest mistakes, but even so, I received a full refund, not just credit, for my orders. I don't think that's extreme at all: if you didn't get what you paid for, you shouldn't have to pay. :oops:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
That’s awesome, shows he is a good vendor that stands behind his stuff. I know some would offer to ship out your next order free or give you credit in the amount of the fish you ordered…but in this case it is tough because you ordered a very specific fish and did not get that. Entire transaction credited or refunded? lol, sounds extreme but you really did not get what you ordered.

Let us know what you decide, maybe get a few people in on a group order…
I have had a couple of experiences with different online vendors in which I did not get the fishes I ordered, but something related. I believe these were honest mistakes, but even so, I received a full refund, not just credit, for my orders. I don't think that's extreme at all: if you didn't get what you paid for, you shouldn't have to pay. :oops:
I requested a store credit less shipping. I agree that had I seen the stock prior to ordering that order would not have been made.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
That’s pretty amazing! I love it when a business can and will fix any errors ( even if the error occurred prior to them receiving the product.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have been watching YouTube videos of Dan’s explaining how he quit his profession as a professor and made the fish keeping a business. It was pretty inspiring.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Those are cute little catfish!
View attachment 10431
From what I read on Planet Catfish these are often T. Intermedia incorrectly identified as T. Galaxias. The difference is T.I. has a base color of brown with off white/cream spots and the T. G. is a base of velvet black with white spots. Either will be a neat addition to the collection. Dan will be shipping them out on Tuesday next week.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I received my second fish order from Dan's and am very pleased with the quality of the order. All 3 went bonkers when I released them into a bucket after they had been floating for about 30min. Each one is approximately 3in. Each one was individually double, heated sealed bagged. I didn't get to open the box as I was at work. Very thankful to have the wife at home to receive and immediately start floating them while I headed home.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Dan has a listing for H. Liberifer that started out being priced $27 but are now priced $12.50. I also noticed that he is posting pictures of individual fish with a date stamp.