Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED (NOT the +) review

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have the fancy Satellite + Freshwater LED lights on my 210g and love them. In this case I just needed a light on my 40B and wanted to go cheap. I could have went with Beamswork for about $50 but I had credit on Amazon so I purchased there. I had a $30 credit so this one was only $30 for me for a 36" fixture, so not too bad.

This is the one: http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-freshwater-led

I will first start with the fact this thing is tiny. I thought the + version was too small to light up a deep, wide tank (which it does a great of), but this is even smaller! Its only like 2" wide and about 1/2" thick. I really thought it would not work on the 40B well, since I am dealing with a wide tank (18") and it also fairly shallow (16"). I was sure the only way to get full coverage was to suspend the light above the tank. Well I was wrong, this worked perfect. I get full coverage and it is surprisingly bright. In fact I will have to dim it down a little.

That is another cool feature, the ability to dim down the white or blue channel independently. It does have a special wired remote that allows you to do all this along with some simple effects. I hate the storm effects and the fish kind of freak but the rest of the light I like a lot. I really do not think it is a 'plant' light but it is bright with a nice white look about it. While I can see a lot of potential problems if you are pressing the remote button day in and day out because of thin wires. I think it would be fine if you just set it with a automatic timer and just left it alone.

So I am happy with this fixture and would recommend it for a fish only type tank. With the sales that sometimes go on, it may be about the same price as a Beamswork but much, much smaller. While not as nice as the + version, it still is a nice LED light for the money.

aaronfeeney

I also have one of these and did not like the weird functions. shortly after I got the settings where I liked them, my dog ate the remote, so I have been using an timer ever since and am completely happy with that.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The little remote has some super flimsy wiring and those buttons will wear out for sure if you have to push them everyday. I should have mentioned in the review that both channels are provided with their own power cords and then go into the wired remote where they then get controlled. You could put a transformer cord on each line and use two timers for some nice effects. The only problem would be the intensity of the lighting. The white on a deeper tank would be fine but even the blue is pretty bright. Still am amazed how little this fixture is.

cichlid-gal

I have a couple of these running also that I got on the big sale I found a few months back. I have to say I'm quite pleased with the lighting results. I'm currently setting up a tank that needs more "subdued" lighting and using the white/blue setting is going to be perfect on it. It leaves the tank with some great "calm" vibes going on. Anyway....I agree with the stuff about the little attached remote thing...way too small and probably not a good thing for long term use but with a timer...all will work perfectly. And the price can't be beat...even the beamswork are more expensive.