current stock list?????

A

Anonymous

Let me be the first to post in the new world cichlid area. So welcome to all who venture into this topic. I wanted to start with a goood old stock check. So list your current new world cichlid stock list here. I will go first.

Parachromis managuenses (jag) female about 9 inches
Parachromis friedrichsthalii (freddy, yellow jacket) unsexed 4 inches
Vieja argentea (white cichlid) unsexed 1 1/2 inches
Vieja maculicauda (black belt) female 9 inches
Hypsophrys nicaraguenses (nic) male 6 inches
Thorichthys meeki (firemouth) male 5 1/2 inches female 4 inches
Herotilapia multipinosa (rainbow) female 3 1/2 inches
Aequidens rivulatus (green terror, gold saum) male 3 1/2 inches
Cichlisoma festea (red terror) female 6 inches female 5 inches
Crenicichla sveni (sveni pike) male 9 inches
Cihlisoma bocourti unsexed 2 inches
Vieja fenestratus unsexed 2 1/2 inches

I think that's it.

A

Anonymous

Out of what I currently keep I have ony the firemouths that are a pair. I kinda got away from breeding because of space. But will get back into it once I get. My 150 and hopefully a second 190 das setup. I have bred many spcs though.

A

Anonymous

Are there no other american cichlid keepers on here yet?

Mikey

fish_n_vw said:
Are there no other american cichlid keepers on here yet?
only one that has posted up. his username is whatthebloody. I saw his fish and they are awesome. His jags were amazing

A

Anonymous

I figured with the current 33 member count here there has got to be a few. Any way here's a pic of my 110 cichlid tank it has changed a bit since this. But it was one of my favorite layouts. Hope you enjoy. And sorry as you can see my camera (phone) dosent take the best pics and I'm no photographer either.

2009-10-25102534.jpg

aaronfeeney

stock list

I've got 2 microgeophagus ramirezi(blue rams) and an apistogramma cacatuoides in my community tank with a few black neons , red eyed tetras,white clouds, guppy's, 1 albino cory, another cory, 1 clown pleco and a rubber lip pleco

A

Anonymous

Nice I love rams there dope. Really nice color big personality and fare well in a planted tank. Never kept any apistos, but I hear good things. I'm looking to add a few dwarf cichlids to my 29 gallon planted tank soon. Any suggestions?

aaronfeeney

blue sierra in renton

these guys have a fair amount of dwarfs ,,, several apist. species and at least 3 kinds of ram,, probably a few i don't recognize too. the owners are the original founders of tropical fish world, good people it seems, to me. some cool misc. plecos too.

A

Anonymous

I got my das system from them. I forgot they had really good dwarf cichlid selection. Thanks for the heads up.

eshauen

stock list

in my 125 gallon i have....

1 midas
2 blood parrots
1 flowerhorn
1 electric blue jack dempsey
1 jack dempsey
1 black convict
1 white (jellybean-not dyed) convict
2 firemouth
2 datnoids
1 bala shark
1 pleco
1 african kenyi/acei hybrid
and i had an anorexic green terror that disappered

sandnuka

1 midas - white colored yellow and orange markings

thats it for now... tryin to get my hands on some flowerhorns.... If you consider a hybrid a new world. lol.... anyway, how do you keep your fish together... a couple years ago I had a 75 gal, had a red devil, green terror, jack dempsey, and talapia butterkoiforer..... only one fish left after 6 mo's.... anybody guess?????

anyway, they are too aggressive I found to keep together when they grow.... anyone have suggesstions????

A

Anonymous

sandnuka said:
1 midas - white colored yellow and orange markings

thats it for now... tryin to get my hands on some flowerhorns.... If you consider a hybrid a new world. lol.... anyway, how do you keep your fish together... a couple years ago I had a 75 gal, had a red devil, green terror, jack dempsey, and talapia butterkoiforer..... only one fish left after 6 mo's.... anybody guess?????

anyway, they are too aggressive I found to keep together when they grow.... anyone have suggesstions????
Well to answer your question about keeping aggressive fish together. I have come to see that some fish just can't be kept with other fish and you will know witch ones as they grow. Other then that I buy two or three of each spieces I intend to keep and raise them together. I pull out all fish that are not compatible. I useually end up changing my original stock plans along the way. I also make sure I have plenty of structures for hiding and breaking line of site. I also overstock my tanks to spread out aggresion. Just watch and learn your fish. You will be able to find a group that works well together. Sorry I'm being so vague but that's the advise I have.

sandnuka

That is excellent advice.... Actually I was at a store with an overstocked african cichlid tank.... they were everywhere.... and no one really bothered eachother...... The only thing I was nervous about was the new world cichlids tend to grow so much more... and create allot more waste, so it would just be so much work to keep a overstocked tank.

A

Anonymous

Just overstock within limits. Enough to not allow anything to establish a territory. But not so much that you have to do w/c every day. Nothing like africans that too much.

sandnuka

Gave up..... After long battle with it.... I gave up..... I sold all my New world cichlids actually to a member on here... became kinda friends with the guy.... Keeps and breeds flowerhorns..... anyway... decided to stick with what I know, Ive returned to Lake malawii tank, with a couple tanganyika fish in there.

A

Anonymous

That's too bad. You probably try it again some time. I'm the same way with african cichlids, for some reason I just can't figure them out. I have only given small attempts but I always end up losing or getting rid of them.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
In my 120g

1 male Midas
4 Red Hook Silver Dollars
1 unknown Silver Dollar
1 Pleco

rattle1972

1 6-8" Parachromis loisellei (big bubba lolo) lol
1 5-6" parachromis managuense
2 2: parachromis managuense (had 4 but two dissapeared when moved to bigger tank, damn big bubba lolo!)

4 2" Caquetaia umbriferum (damn i hope ones a male)
2 1-2" Cichlasoma atromaculatus (i still get sick worrying about these two)

a wild caught pair of cichlasoma festae about 8-9" each
1 4" male festae
1 4"female festae
1 5-6" wild caught festae, maybe male, maybe female... depends on the day...lol hopefully i will know soon, lol.
2 3-4" green terrors
2 1" oscars
2 2" firemouth cichlids
1 really jacked up convict that got stunted when stuck in a tank with spawning managuenses (lucky is his name)
1 3" cichlasoma? Herichthys? bocourti (they seem to change classification daily :evil: :evil: )

1 4" rhino pleco
2 common plecos
1 1" mango pleco (another fish i worry alot about..)
1 4" green phantom pleco
1 6" spotted sailfin pleco

5 common african cichlids (yellow labs, blue johanni, and 2 acara? acaru? somthing like that) the wife named them so i cant get rid of them :evil: :evil: