Crushed coral question

anthony

I just put a giant piece of wood in a 30 gallon cube . My Seattle water is about 7.0 last time I checked. Because of the tank volume and the huge piece of wood ratio I put some crushed coral in a filter sock in the aqua clear 70. My question is .... If I just mix the coral in with the gravel won't I get the same effect ? The coral is ugly but a small amount will go unnoticed mixed with the gravel. It seems like the heaviness of the bag will keep my filter basket from popping up if the filters gets clogged up. Will the coral buffer the water slower in the gravel or does the push of the water flowing through it make it work better?

Madness

Staff member
I use it in the gravel and it works well, I suppose if water flow is constantly running over/through it it may work better, bit it works well as part of the substrate for me

L190

same here, i mixed handfuls of crushed coral in my tang tank and it keeps the ph at around 8

anthony

Thanks for the input guys! Something told me it would be a good idea to put it in the gravel. I just remember a lot of people saying they put it in the filter.