Crazy colored convicts

Knutsen1122

I've never had convicts not did I think I ever would but I saw this pair in an orphan tank and for $2.00 so I thought why not. The picture doesn't do justice to how bright the yellow and blue is on them. I'm sure they are a hybrid, most likely hrp because of the color. Had anyone seen colors like this on convicts?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424275769.637838.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424275769.637838.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 122
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424275788.167823.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424275788.167823.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 122

clownie

Nope, just a straight convict. I have seen them where the yellow is a reddish tint also to. i think maybe a variant? Cool yellow highlights thou! Nice score.

Madness

Staff member
Most likely it is not a Convict. Convicts do not have blue in them nor any yellow. There are so many Convict look cichlids that have come through the hobby, and so many people mislabeling, misidentifying them or just dont care what it is. Hey a blue convict, hey a yellow convict, lets breed all of theses. So the hybrids begin.

You have the nigrofasciatus which is the convict, altoflavus which has been called the yellow convict, HRP which has been called the blue convict, kanna which looks very similar to the convict as well as the siquia and the spilurus. Not to mention the cutteri has also been called a convict.

The pictures below are of a Siquia, looks a lot like yours. Hmmm.........

Attachments

• C.siquia(Markus)2.jpg
    C.siquia(Markus)2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 89
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 89
  • cabuyo1.jpg
    cabuyo1.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 89

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
And mine from rapps is the bottom picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 73

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Dang sorry about the same pic twice hard to upload from my phone..... I hope you snagged the one you saw.... I really liked the yellows I had

Knutsen1122

I have HRP's, here's my female. She looks nothing like them. Btw I did grab them.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424289305.809380.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424289305.809380.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 79

Madness

Staff member
lloyd378 said:
Dang sorry about the same pic twice hard to upload from my phone..... I hope you snagged the one you saw.... I really liked the yellows I had

I tried to clean it up for you lloyd, lol it worked OK.

LuminousAphid

Knutsen1122 said:
I have HRP's, here's my female. She looks nothing like them. Btw I did grab them.
I have a male 'convict' that looks really similar... after seeing this thread I am wondering if it's a convict or part something else. I got it as an 'adoption' from petco with 2 siblings- the other 2 disappeared but this guy made it.

OVezWnH.jpg