Craigslist Score ~125g 8ft acrylic

Bob

Finally scored a tank. Its just under 8ft long, 13 inches deep, 20ish inches tall. Long and skinny with built in over flow on one side. I have been after a tank like this for awhile. No big scratches but definitely in rough shape, will take some elbow grease to restore. But i have gotten pretty decent at aquarium restorations. I'll post some pictures of it later today.

This will be my new planted rainbow tank. I currently have about 15 species of rainbows in my normal 125g to move over. I am contemplating going to just one species. Having to pick just one would be really hard, but i think it would be awesome having a large school of one species.

That will free up my normal 125g for either my colony of jumbo black fin cyps, or my ever growing colony of paracyps, or both.

Bob

Hygrophila Corymbosa Angustifolia as my background, dwarf chain sword, and stargrass. All fast growers that are very easy to trim and are quick sellers. I am sure ill scatter in some anubias here and there.

Loren

Congrats. I can't wait to see some photos. One species would be great. Every time I see an aquarium with a single species I am memorized. How did you move it? Called in a favor from a friend?

clownie

I am just getting back into the planted tank game. Taking it slow at first, 20 gallon, mineralized soil, high light, pressurized co2.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I'd love to see one species with a center focus fish in there with them....8' is a sweet length! Congrats

Bob

@Loren Clarke I stole my dad's truck, and since it's acrylic i can carry it by myself.
@clownie Welcome back to the planted scene. Lots of cool plants coming into the hobbies these days.
@lloyd378 How to pick just one species though =(. I have been growing out 20 Glossolepis multisquamata which might be cool. I know i don't want to go with Boesemani, which of course is always a fan favorite. But everyone does Bosemanis.

clownie

Back in the day when i was breeding australians my favorite was Melanotaenia trifasciata. I don't know if they are popular now but back then (20 years) they were pretty rare. I hear ya about the bosemani, plus they all look washed out to me from too much in breeding.

Bob

Just really hazy. Only a few spots actually need to be sanded. Should just be a 1 day project. For the stand, i was thinking of building it to hold an 8ft 240g. Since i still want one of those someday, and also don't want the stand to be only 13 inches deep. I would be paranoid that it would tip over too easy.

IMAG0047_zpsr6tb4ckl.jpg

Bob

I do see goyder river rainbows show up every once in awhile. Definitely true about the Bosemani, my 125 has all store bought and they are like a faded yellow. Then i have a 40 breeder with F1 Melanotaenia boesemani "Lake Aytinjo" from Gary Lange that are just stunning and even have red hues on the tips of the fins.

Id guess i have about 20-25 different species of rainbows, and only the bosemani and the turquoise seem to be faded.

Loren

Looks really nice. I agree on the stand. Build one now for the future. Then when you get your 240 you can give me the 120.:p

Seattle_Aquarist

Finally scored a tank. Its just under 8ft long, 13 inches deep, 20ish inches tall. Long and skinny with built in over flow on one side. I have been after a tank like this for awhile. No big scratches but definitely in rough shape, will take some elbow grease to restore. But i have gotten pretty decent at aquarium restorations. I'll post some pictures of it later today.

This will be my new planted rainbow tank. I currently have about 15 species of rainbows in my normal 125g to move over. I am contemplating going to just one species. Having to pick just one would be really hard, but i think it would be awesome having a large school of one species.

That will free up my normal 125g for either my colony of jumbo black fin cyps, or my ever growing colony of paracyps, or both.

Good for you Vicmacki!! Looking forward to pictures as things progress. Rainbowfish are an excellent species for a planted tank.

75 gallon with younger Melanotaenia boesemani 'Lake Aytinjo' from Gary Lange eggs