cold tolerant plants

Are any common aquarium plants tollerant of sub-tropical temperatures? Im thinking about growing some of my plants in my pond over the summer. How do swords do with temp swings? Ludwigia? Any other common plants that can go from indoor to outdoors?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much every plant does better in cooler water. You may wait till it warms up a tad. Temperature swings will depend on if you put it in direct sunlight and how big of a pond it is.

It's a couple hundred gallons. Probably under 300. Get a few hours of direct Sun a day this time of year. But I don't think it will get more than 6-8 hours at the peak of summer. But the light it does get it pretty bright. Probably brighter than what the plants get inside. So wait til the day time water temps are above like 60? 65 ? Higher?

Bob

I tried this last year in a 60,000 gallon pond. It gets direct sunlight until about 2-3pm. All the plants got scorched. But we also had those record heat waves last year. This year i might try jungle val and throw some minnows or something in there.

clownie

I tried this last year in a 60,000 gallon pond. It gets direct sunlight until about 2-3pm. All the plants got scorched. But we also had those record heat waves last year. This year i might try jungle val and throw some minnows or something in there.

60,000 gallons! That's a small lake.:)