co2 with sponge filtration

Bob

So everything i am reading says to not use airstones when running co2. How about sponge filters? I am assuming it would be the same as an airstone. I run 4 sponge filters in my 75 gallon planted tank. Would i be wasting my time trying to set up co2?

L190

I believe it will be the same as an airstone. It causes surface agitation and causes the co2 to leave the tank. Maybe try excel? it will stay in the water even if you use an airstone or sponge filter.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Well if you dig into it, you'll find the answer. O2 levels and Co2 levels are independent. Meaning you can have High o2 and high co2 in the same tank, or any combination.

An airstone/sponge filter will add oxygen and create surface agitation. This will help gas transfer. It can gas off co2.

That being said it's a question of how much surface agitation? Lots of people run co2 and sumps. Where there is TONS of gassing off going on in the wet dry part of the filter.

With surface agitation, you'll need to inject more co2 than if you didn't have it. That being said there are many benefits to surface agitation. Like keeping a protein film off the top of the water, which lets more light through. Also keeping oxygen levels high in the aquarium is beneficial to the fish. On top of that, the airstone/sponge etc create more flow in the aquarium which help deliver nutrients.

The question should be posed like this. If I run sponge filters will I have to use 30% more co2? Probably. Then it's a question if it's worth it. For me personally, co2 is an additive, not the main reason for a tank, so I supply how much co2 is needed to run with the equipment I want to run in the aquarium. As co2 is pretty cheap.