Cloudy Water -

Exotic Aquatics

I have a 120 acrylic tank that I can not get to clear up almost looks like Lake Water 8 months + set up last 30 days it went to hell. No Fish problems as of yet. Ammonia 0 Ph Good out of Tap but low in Tank. Almost like the tank is going through the cycling phase, (Algae Bloom)? I have killed the lighting doing 1/4 water changes weekly.the 55 & 45 Tanks use all the same as the 120 but they are Glass Tanks-30 years in the Hobby & still Learning HEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPP

Thanks Everyone for any Comments Questions or Concerns :?:

This may help. Years ago I had a tank that, not matter what i did, even complete water changes, it became cloudy again in a few days. Finally I took it completely down and found that the peice of driftwood I had collected and boiled, had a dead colony of ants within it and they were decomposing. After I removed that piece....no more problems!

Paintguy

I have one tank out of 4 doing the exact same thing as yours after water changes and all..and I have a piece of wood in it. Going to remove it now and see if that is the problem.

Paintguy

it is a nice mid size piece of hard wood.. did not notice any specific rotting areas, but removed it anyway. My tank went from crystal clear to a bog in a matter of a few days. Time will tell. Many thanks for the tip Ron :)

Kaie

shit happens but i have tons of wood in all my tanks and haven't encountered any 'clouding' issues.

Decaying wood naturally releases tannins but i wouldn't call that cloudy.

Ashley

Use a canister with fx5 polisher pads in it, you can use with almost any filter. You can also buy the same stuff in bulk at the craft store just make sure there is no sent or anything, we use it on all of our large tanks, works like a charm. You could always get a diatom filter but I don't think there is any real need for that.

Paintguy

I have some polisher pads for my Fluval 404, but they kill the water flow. Also have an Aqueon HOB and the filter pads are as fine as a polisher anyway. I think they do that so they are very hard to clean.. kind of fall apart. With the wood removed it appears not to be getting any more cloudy after yesterdays water change.