closed loop system, no drilling tank

aaronfeeney

1st try is ok, but I'll need to add a couple valves to regulate flow to the key outlets

the pump connects to the gray hose barb, left of center, the left rear outlet gets the best flow followed by the right rear outlet, the front outlet is several small holes drilled in both, L and R tubes, like a spray bar, ( not enough flow here to be effective

here it is upside down to show spray bar

thats the pump and outlet for the CPR backpack skimmer

aaronfeeney

stole the idea from a friend , but his is connected to a 4 way wave maker. I've got about 750 gpm, I am thinking 1000 or 1200 gpm would distribute better, in this array.

aaronfeeney

a 750gph submersable pump, located at the left end of the clear tubing behind a rock. The flow is a littlew low, shopping for a 1000- 1200 gph pump and will add valves to regulate flow to each outlet tonight or tomorrow.

Doza

wouldnt it be more effective to just get some korlinas or a product similar to it.? whats the purpose of this design.. just for good water flow?

lilfishie

I think with what he has built he will get a better controlled flow with less obstruction, where as the koralias are bulky and obstruct the view, and they direct the flow in one direction and the closer to the power head the harder the flow. So you dont get good flow in all areas. Just in one direction. I think his design will allow him to get flow in all areas of the tank with no dead spots.

aaronfeeney

Thanks Lilfishie, thats the idea , I'll get a front tank shot tonight, looking through the front glass , all you see is the 2 rear outlets , all else is tucked neatly behind the black tank trim

unconv-reefer

The idea is very good, if you'll allow a little idea that will help with what I think you are trying to achive.

Switch it around, make the small drill hole closest to the pump and the larger flow outlets farther. flow will ALWAYS find the easiest way to go, so with the design you have you aren't getting much out of the small drilled holes, as the flow is going out of the large/closer to the pump.

FYI- I've got 20+years in hydraulics, which is fluid power, not an expert but I like your design and "think/believe" you'll get more of what you want by switching where the pumps flow enters.

If this didn't make sense PM me and I'll explain better or draw you a schematic

unconv-reefer

Doza,

FYI; the new theory for growing good corals is flow helps as much if not more than light, hence his idea to increase flow through this design will help considerably in the long run.

Also, as Lilfishie said, more indirect is better than direct current

aaronfeeney

Very good unconv reefer. makes good sense , I also do hydraulics, with electrical and fab work. mostly behind a desk now, with an occasional foot up someones ass. Any how you are very correct, I neededd the reminder though, thanks.

The spray bar might do well pointed down at the LR and the horizontal outlets at angles in the tank. this is all loose fit (no pvc cemnt),,, just in case. :D

Doza

what is the size of pvc? On the 2 large flows thought about converting to some locline? if your pvc is 1inch conect a loc-line 3/4male locline and than get a 3/4 to 1/2 loc-line Y....On the 1/2in locline they have ball valves that you could controll the flow on those outlets... Also move down to a smaller outflow size on your main flows to keep pressure up..

Just ideas :eek:

aaronfeeney

also looked at loc-line, good stuff, but overpriced at fish stores and online fish stores. I'll try to post a link tomorrow, this guy sells the black for same price as the machine shop coolant lines , blue and orange.

unconv-reefer

I also do hydraulics, with electrical and fab work.

I think that comes with the position :p

Sitting behind a desk is much easier on the body for sure, it's what I do now also, just do fab work as a hobby now.

Sounds like you have it under control, give a yell if you need to bounce anything off someone head