CLOSED - A Place for Pets- Burien

Will I am

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

Just picked up 5 fish. Always a great time when I go. Kevin is always willing help with what ever I need. Great fish, good quality, can't ask for anything more.

Anthraxx

im posting this in the hopes that a mod decides to come in and maybe clean up this thread a bit. APFP experienced some serious fungal issues in 2010, (some fish i bought ended up wiping out my tank) nearly ruined the hobby for me. but in the last two years hes gone a long way in terms of revamping his store back to its original glory. price is the only concern of mine w/ his store but hes also the ONLY store that carries much of what i need/want so charging a higher price to maintain his spot as the BEST pet store in WA is okay w/ me. again please clean it up a bit and lets get kevin the publicity he clearly deserves.

Madness

Staff member
I would like to think that those that read these check the dates. I mean that's obvious. When I check the ratings or comments on hotels, I look at the dates. Everyone knows that the last post is the most current. And everyone would like to see growth or improvement. I am leaving it the way it is, though I have cleaned up the unnecessary comments that do not pertain to the ratings of this store.

Lets keep this thread dedicated to rating the store. Comments along with the ratings are welcomed.

master chi

Overall experience 4.5
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 4.5

I took my 1st trip to APFP a couple days ago upon a suggestion from a fellow forum member.
I'm so glad I did.
Those of us living in the Tacoma area are really missing out on a shop like this one. Especially if your keeping or looking to keep Africans.I honestly saw more variety for malawis in this store than all Tacoma area stores combined. Many of the species they carry I could only find at online vendors.
Although the drive was a bit long for me.About 40 minutes each way. It was worth it.
In my review score I docked a half point for Experience only because it was really cramped in there. I'm not a huge guy but, I felt like it was crowded with just me and 1 other person in a single fish tank isle.
I also docked a half point for service because once I got to checkout I made several compliments on the store but, the fella seemed almost like "whatever dude I just work here".On better service note however, I was asked at least twice if I needed help finding anything and the poor young lady who helped me by netting the very specific fish I wanted from two tanks was patient,and had excellent fish catching technique.
Prices were actually pretty good except for the fact that I was actually hoping to find a couple adult males and all the adult fish were fairly expensive.I think the fact that I left thinking to myself I wish I could spend more today is the reason I gave them a 3 in price,Honestly.
Apparently I can special order Tanks and Livestock as well. Just another plus For A Place For Pets,Also they have a Facebook page in which I posted stocking questions to them. They answered my question within about 10 minutes. I knew they had the particular species I needed before ever making the somewhat long drive. Which wouldn't be as bad if I weren't driving a'78 350 V8 camaro.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Overall Experience 2
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 2

OK, I love this store but maybe it was the mistake of going in on a busy Saturday or the fact that a newbie caught my fish or that the wife went with and helped pick the fish out. I dont know what the exact issue was but here is the story.

I have been wanting a pleco to go in my 210g to help eat a little algae growth on the glass and what not. After a ton of research I decided upon three that I would consider. The one I already had and added, an albino bristle nose. The other would be either an L001 sailfin or a Rhino pleco. I decided on the rhino. I knew a place for pets had them, so I made the drive from Tacoma.

Here is where it all goes wrong. My wife does not like to go to the fish stores with me and gets a bit impatient when we go. After looking a little bit I show her the pleco I want and its $7.99. She goes and grabs a young kid to catch it while Im still looking. There were only two tiny ones in the tank and they both looked alike so no problem, right? Well in the same tank there are two other pleco varieties and my wife does not know the difference and neither does the employee. So my wife asked for the biggest one which was double the size of the Rhino but it was also a broken line royal that was $15. During he whole process I was off looking at fish and the royal was bagged and taken up front. I go up to pay for it and the checker looks at it and asks if all I had was the pleco and I say yes and I look down and realize this is not what I wanted and she sees that it is a royal marked at $7.99. So of course the first thing I feel is embarrassed like Im trying to scam them out of a more expensive fish even though I had nothing to do with the actual catching of it or the whole process. And I did not want a royal anyway. So the young man who caught the fish to begin with is assigned to help me again. This time he starts to catch the other bigger pleco in the tank and it is also not my rhino but something else that is like $27. I had him bring it up closer to the glass so I could look at it and told him, no that is not the rhino, that is the other one listed on the front of the tank for $27.

After all the hassle and then the guy still not knowing what he was doing made me feel like it was a huge waste of time going up there.

So I guess there were a lot of variables in this story, but overall I still put blame on the employe not knowing what he was doing. So over all not the best experience.

A

Anonymous

Personal favorate aquatic store. I got to know some of the clerks and often got mark downs from retail when the right ppl were there :)

Overall Experience - 5

Cost - 2.5 (typical retail usually)

Quality Of Fish - 5

Variety - 5

Service - 5

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

Went in today because of the 15% off freshwater fish on Tuesday. It was quiet and Kevin was there looking over everyone's shoulder so good experience over all. Got three baby red devils (from Mel O) a firemouth and an argentea. Very happy with the trip.

Nick_87

First time to the store to check things out but didnt end up buying anything. Neat store and Kevin is very friendly and helpfull.

Overall Experience 5
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 4
Service 5

Nobettername

Experience5
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

There is always to many fish I want here. And I'm always happy with the fish I get from apfp :woot:

A

Anonymous

A Place for Pets - Burien

Overall Experience 3
Cost 2
Quality of Fish 3
Variety 4
Service 2

I met a fellow member of the forum at this store last weekend and wasn't all that impressed. I waited in the African Cichlid aisle for her for several minutes looking at the fish. I saw one fish either sick or dead laying in the back of one of the tanks and the prices (imo) were far too high. Tangerine Tigers were $13 or $14 each and I just bought some for $6 each from a Portland store. The lady I met showed up and was immediately asked if she needed anything by one of the employees who walked past me to ask her, yet me being there far longer, I was never asked if I needed help. Not so good for customer service. Variety was pretty good. I definitely would never go out of my way to visit again.

A

Anonymous

Overall Experience 3
Cost 2
Quality of Fish 2
Variety 3
Service2

Yes I agree with you ceejai.
I bought one fish from there last friday and it died yesterday very dissapointed in the price and quality trust me I will not be returning.

Flyfalcons

Overall Experience 4
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 2
Variety 5
Service 5

I was in the area a few days ago and stopped by to get some ideas for a 55 project I'm working on. Kevin was a little busy assisting customers and working on the tanks but he took the time to answer my questions. Great selection of fish and accessories, but I saw a dead cleaner wrasse and I'm pretty sure a decent sized catfish died while I was there as well. I'll probably be back, at the very least to have another look through their really good selection of driftwood.

Will I am

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

Went there last week. Tanks looked good. Ended up buying a few fish and supplies. Kevin hooked me up with a AWESOME deal as usual! My Favorite fish store!

anthony

This is my favorite fish store in the area for fish. I have been going here for almost 4 years and over that amount of time I have seen almost every African, or American cichlid I have seen in a book at this place. I like to go when the store first opens and is not to crowded . Kevin is there and is always helpful. If you go during the weekend expect swarms of people, and very busy store, and some of the staff might be high schoolers that will have to go ask or find Kevin if you have a difficult question They have a 7 day return policy. I have purchased over 150 fish from this place and only used the return policy 2 or 3 times and never received any grief about it. I have purchased dovi for $1.50 here before. Over all for freshwater selection cichlids,plecos,odd balls. this is where I like spending my money. plus they have tanks, supplies, hoses, replacement lights, hoods, etc.

overall experience 5
cost 5
Quality of fish 4
variety 5
service 3

nick_76

a nice petstore woth the drive. got a couple discus (got a great deal during their anniversary sale)and some smaller cichlids here. staff friendly but give you your space. really neat display tanks set up upstairs!

overall experience 4
cost 5
Quality of fish 4
variety 4
service 4.5

Madness

Staff member
Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 4

After all the down talk about the new/old ownership taking over, and seeing the fish section take a huge hit. I stopped in there on my way home on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised. The tanks were very clean, a couple of the tanks were the clearest I have ever seen a tank in that store. They did not get rid of the Cichlids, they still carry a very nice assortment of them. Shannon is now in charge of the fish, and from what I saw she is doing a wonderful job.

Looks like APFP will be on my fav store list again.

cichlid-gal

Overall Experience 4
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service n/a

We stopped by A Place for Pets on Tuesday when we traveled to Seattle for the GSAS meeting. They have a large selection of fish items...dry goods and live fish. We took time to go upstairs and look over the fish tank selections. The prices up there were awesome. There was a rimless 2x2x2 tank priced at just over a $100. I had to hold my pocketbook to not purchase it but the reality was I don't have a place for it. It's a beautiful tank looking for a great home and priced to sell. We also looked at a bag of Eco-complete. Much more costly than I could get it for online so we passed on that. Rows and rows of fish though. The tanks were being cleaned but all fish looked healthy and happy. We will visit this store again if we are in the area and would recommend it to others.

poffman

Overall Experience 3
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 4
Service 2

My wife and I came in to look at setting up a small tank and had a great experience, at first. The staff was really helpful and very nice, and suggested a 3.5 gallon to start, with about 5 Glofish in it. Knowing what I know now, I never would have attempted to start with such a small tank, we had several ammonia spikes and even with consistent water changes and prime were just unable to get it going. I think that the people helping us didn't really have enough knowledge to suggest a setup, everywhere i've gone since recommends a 10 gallon tank to start or larger because of course the larger the tank, the easier it is to get an ecosystem going. They didn't tell us to run the tank 24 hours before adding fish etc, and it had been so long since I kept fish that I trusted their information rather than going on what I had always done in the past. While the fish world has changed a lot it's still very much the same, it's easier to keep fish now than it was in the past (in my opinion..) but you can't expect to setup a 3.5 gallon tank and have it run great and put fish in it right away. We've since bought a 60 gallon and the 3.5 gallon houses a very happy Betta, a few Norman Lampeye's and a Pigmy Cory. I live right near here but I will make the drive to Tropical Fish World in Sumner, or The Aquarium Coop up north, i'd much rather have healthy happy fish and better advice.

It's my opinion they didn't think we would buy a large tank right away so they downplayed the task of setting up a small tank.

poffman

poffman said:
Overall Experience 3
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 4
Service 2

My wife and I came in to look at setting up a small tank and had a great experience, at first. The staff was really helpful and very nice, and suggested a 3.5 gallon to start, with about 5 Glofish in it. Knowing what I know now, I never would have attempted to start with such a small tank, we had several ammonia spikes and even with consistent water changes and prime were just unable to get it going. I think that the people helping us didn't really have enough knowledge to suggest a setup, everywhere i've gone since recommends a 10 gallon tank to start or larger because of course the larger the tank, the easier it is to get an ecosystem going. They didn't tell us to run the tank 24 hours before adding fish etc, and it had been so long since I kept fish that I trusted their information rather than going on what I had always done in the past. While the fish world has changed a lot it's still very much the same, it's easier to keep fish now than it was in the past (in my opinion..) but you can't expect to setup a 3.5 gallon tank and have it run great and put fish in it right away. We've since bought a 60 gallon and the 3.5 gallon houses a very happy Betta, a few Norman Lampeye's and a Pigmy Cory. I live right near here but I will make the drive to Tropical Fish World in Sumner, or The Aquarium Coop up north, i'd much rather have healthy happy fish and better advice.

It's my opinion they didn't think we would buy a large tank right away so they downplayed the task of setting up a small tank.
I wanted to follow this up, I went in yesterday to buy filters and ended up leaving with some snails. Everyone was nice, I think the staff here is just hit or miss.