cichlid sand?

nick_76

I put 100 lbs of the lane mountain sand in my new discus tank, the discus look fine, but my new rams seem to have lost all color...well, they weren't that colorful to begin with so I hope its a matter of adjusting to the new home rather than the way the light is reflected upwards in the tank. im considering pulling the fluorite out of my 75 and putting white sand in there too...along with ripping out most of the plants, need to find some decent wood that wont break the bank for both tanks, and im going from low to medium bushy plants to tall and open stuff

fishyladdy

i go down to the river and get wood and soak it in warm water to kill anything bad for the fish. my fish love it. its a super cheap way and you find awesome wood in the water :)

nick_76

that's a pretty great idea...I was looking at APFP yesterday, but @$7/lb, and the fact that my tank sizes dictate large pieces, I better be lovin it cuz big pieces definitely are not cheap(looked like prices could quickly spiral upwards to $50 or more for a single piece, and with multiple tanks id need several)...but I didn't see anything I was thrilled about

fishyladdy

yeah i love the ones i have for my tank i go down there alot i even used some of the rocks and some of the fish in my pond lol

nick_76

ill have to look around for a river, my nearest body of water is Puget sound, and word from there wont do for a discus tank...

nick_76

I have a feeling Puyallup river is closest to home. the Duwamish runs right behind the plant I work at, but in addition to the tidal effects (I don't know how much salt water finds its way upstream) the fact that its in an industrial area kinda rules it out as a harvesting area for wood

nick_76 said:
I put 100 lbs of the lane mountain sand in my new discus tank, the discus look fine, but my new rams seem to have lost all color...well, they weren't that colorful to begin with so I hope its a matter of adjusting to the new home rather than the way the light is reflected upwards in the tank. im considering pulling the fluorite out of my 75 and putting white sand in there too...along with ripping out most of the plants, need to find some decent wood that wont break the bank for both tanks, and im going from low to medium bushy plants to tall and open stuff
I found it best to mix this sand in the 50/50 range with cheaper petco brand black sand, it is not that pricey and it avoids the washing out of fish with the incredible white that is silica sand.

As far as wood, look at kensfish.com. GREAT prices and awesome wood. I tried using wood from puget sound awhile back and after 4 months it still had not sank, so I gave up!

Will I am

As far as wood goes, I use Malaysian driftwood. These pieces are super heavy and sink right off the bat. I e purchased all of my wood from A Pet house off of eBay. Unfortunately I don't see them anymore. Each piece of wood cost me 40-$50. You can see them in my vids that I've posted.

fishyladdy

so heres my tank at the moment i know i have way to many fish in this tank and my convicts shouldnt be in with my africans but my other tank decided to break at 3 am last night... not sure why but im sure my cat had something to do with it... once i get my other tank up and running today my convicts will be separated so dont yell at me >.<

but yeah heres some pics of the wood i got form the river. :p