Chocolate Cichlid

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
It is strange that the pair bond broke down right after spawning. Once that happens, the likelihood that a single parent (either one) will successfully brood the spawn is very low, because he/she is not receiving reinforcing behavioural cues from the other parent. Thus this outcome. Hopefully they will get it right next time, but be careful reintroducing the female to the male. I'd wait at least a few days to do that.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
It is strange that the pair bond broke down right after spawning. Once that happens, the likelihood that a single parent (either one) will successfully brood the spawn is very low, because he/she is not receiving reinforcing behavioural cues from the other parent. Thus this outcome. Hopefully they will get it right next time, but be careful reintroducing the female to the male. I'd wait at least a few days to do that.
The pair bond with these two was never very strong. He was prepping the spawn site while chasing her away. During feeding he was only partly tolerant of her presence away from the right side of the tank.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Moved the female choco back in with the male. She was immediately flirting and trying to please but he still isn’t interested. He’s not vicious mostly just pushing on her.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Nice!

My big male ( not really big at 8”) is really getting comfortable with my son feeding it. It comes right up to the back of the. Tank anytime he goes into the garage. He now recognized Logan as the one who drops pellets in. Haha

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, did yours spawn or did I miss that you bought some “littles”?