~~~Chinese Butterfly Loaches~~~

Wolf-Keeper1

Ok what can you guys tell me about them. I just picked up two while getting some aquarium salt. I of course walked by the tanks duh. Lol. Anyway I seen them and thought wow they looked like tiny stingrays or even skates. So yup I got them. I actually think I have two different types one is more rounded it's fins resemble a rays and it's spotted. The other is more then and has stripes. I have them in a ten gallon that 'had' algae growing in it. There in with a Chinese algae eater. Anyway any info would be apreciated. I did do a google search and found some stuff out. By more looking for first hand experince. Thanks everyone.

Kianna

I have a group of 5 Hillstream Loaches (Gastromyzon ctenocephalus) Great little fish. They will eat anything on the bottom of tank. They were a little shy a first but once comfortable they're out and about--lots of fun to watch.

Heres mine-- I love the blue in the fins.

Wolf-Keeper1

How big are yours? mine are so tiny lol. Great shots also, I"m not even going to attempt to take pics till they get bigger. Oh yeah, where did you get yours?

Wolf-Keeper1

Oh yeah and I only found out about how many to keep in a group after i got home so i have to try to find more i thinki took the last two from Pac Ave

Kianna

I think I got 4 last summer at Aquarium Paradise. Then someone gave me 1 (a different variety) cuz he was all my himself in their tank. They are small and I'm horrible with measurements but looking at a ruler I would say mine are about 1.5" now. IMO they're not as difficult to keep as all the info out there says. They do prefer cooler temps/well oxygenated water. I have mine in a heavily planted tank at about 75-76. They tend to be a little shy but the more you have the less shy they are. I did see 1 ......tiny tiny....last night at Aquarium Paradise and I started to get him but didn't :( It was hard to tell (cuz he was hiding) but his tail fin looked chewed on a bit and they wanted $10 for him. Not sure what variety he was. I may go back and get him. I know Grey Wyman at the WETSPOT usually stocks them but other than that I don't see them very often.

Wolf-Keeper1

Yeah, i think i payed 11.50 a piece for mine. But man just watching those guys scratch there heads trying to get that thing off the glass was funny. So right after they did i was like, you know can i get two lol. Thanks for your info Kianna look forward to see pics as yours grow.

Jtang

i have 3 of them, their coldwater but they adapted to warmer water now. make some rock caves for them, and they'll hide most of the time