Chicks, whose got 'em? Or rather, whose raised them?

Anthraxx

i personally was gonna do faverolles but my buddys property had more carnivores nearby then we thought, (all the chickens disappeared one night) i just like them because of their gorgeous colors and the fact that they are a good meat bird and great for our climate (they were bred for a very similar climate in france) literally couldnt find a single negative on them, anyways GL with your run. its always nice to have your own food on hand.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I ended up not getting any :/ I didn't have anywhere to keep them. We are in a long process of build a new HUGE chicken coop and run. I will be able to have the hens roosting at night, a place for chicks to be raised, a place for a broody hen to hatch and storage. All inside! :D

KaraWolf

awe man! But good for you! Always best to have a place for them *before* you get them or you end up like me with 2 month old monsters sleeping in a fishtank and roaming the yard during the day. Though teaching them where bed was through the house was fun if messy XD

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
haha oh man! Yeah the coop is going to be about 6'x8', possibly a storage loft inside and it's going to have a deck to walk around and kind of like a tree house/coop. We tucked it in a bunch of trees and then their run is going to be like 20'x30' or something like that. Hopefully we will be adding ducks too. :D

discus_2013

I raised and sold quail for fun for a couple years, bobwhites, coturnix, California valley's, gambels, and blue scales, also some chuckar.I used a still air but the fan incubator seems to yield much higher hatch rates, I sold them between 2-20 bucks all day long, and benefit of being a fish keeper is you always have a brooder laying around (spare tanks), also the egg Turner is a great investment.

Chiisai

I have lots of chickens been doing them for years. Generally i prefer to stuff the eggs under my silkie hens as they are broody practically every other month. Other than that i have a hovabator incubator with egg turner and fan. Got abou 80% hatch rate which is alot better than rule of thumb(expect60/40). I have rhode island reds, white leghorns, old english, red jungle fowl, and silkies(my cotton balls lol). Generaly once eggs are hatched they go in the garage into a brooder pen i built. This way i can control the temp, as well as reduce their exposure to biological threats that older birds are not affected by.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I have heard silkies as well as frizzles are common for being sitters. I had a silver wyandotte go broody on me this year though. I didn't have any fertile eggs or room for a brooder. I will be getting a Brisnea EcoGlow brooder though for my chicks. I plan on selling chicks and eggs when time of the year is appropriate. My hens (6) are currently not laying. Makes me sad we had to actually buy eggs :(

Chiisai

Generally best time is in spring before the feed stores get them. People hate waiting till march/june. However certain breeds like silkies will sell almost year round.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Definitely good to know! How long have you had chickens? I've only had them for about a year and a half.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Cool, I am wanting to get a wide variety of colors in my egg layers. I do however want to specialize in raising chocolate egg layers. Maybe a breed or two. They are beautiful birds and eggs and area lot harder to come by for those looking for them. I have been in touch with a small hatchery in Yelm that can get me eggs to start.

Chiisai

Copper marans? Just make sure they aren't getting the birds from the big hatcheries. They are not guaranteed true to breed, and often have higher mortality rates due to poor care

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
She has had her own for quite a while. The eggs she will be supplying me would come from her own hens. There are a few different Maran's I'd like to keep and hatch. :) I have a whole big list of hens I want. We aren't going to have any roosters but I want to have some silkie's or a common broody bird to hatch out eggs that I get from else where to put under them. I really want a couple of d'Uccle's in my flock as well.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I had a silkie d'Uccle cross rooster and he was the sweetest chicken I have ever had. I wish I didn't have to rehome him but where I was living at the time didn't allow roosters and now I just choose not to have them because of the noise level they have compared to hens.

Chiisai

Well silkie roos are generally quite except maybe a morning crow. But you will need a roo if you plan on hatching eggs