Chicks, whose got 'em? Or rather, whose raised them?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
haha I never looked into that. I was trying to go the incubator route and decided against that until I can afford a self turner one and what not. I like the idea of a hen hatching them better anyways. So far all my chickens have done well. And Chiisai, I don't know if you get mites on your birds, we do horribly here, I was treating with Seven Dust and found to treat with frontline or advantage! It works for a few months at a time and works way better than Seven Dust. Of course, you can't say the eggs are organic. But I never claimed them to be in the first place. And it has no ill effects or transfers to the eggs being consumed either.

Chiisai

Hope you find a nice seller. Generally hatchig eggs sell for more $$$. Then live chicks. Doesnt make aense to me but i can get rhode island reds for $2-$4 a piece or hatching eggs for $5-$6

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I've found polish hatching eggs for $3.19 each, an assortment of breeds for $3.14 each, blue or copper marans and wheatens for $2.50 each and, olive eggers for $2.08 each.

Chiisai

Not sure if you are aware. If you get polish they need to be kept separate. Other chickens are prone to ripping out the head feathers and then pecking at the blood till it dies. I know this from experience. Some people have had no issues, but I would not recommend it.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Yeah, I knew that :) There are a few breeds that don't mix well. I have found Barred rock hens are pretty mean and I probably won't have any more of those. :/