Cheap Substrate

Kevin G.

Need to get something in the bottom of my 375. Not a huge fan of sand although my Bichirs would be happy about it. Looking for fine natural looking gravel. Anybody have an ideas where to source something locally?
Thanks

FishBeast

Need to get something in the bottom of my 375. Not a huge fan of sand although my Bichirs would be happy about it. Looking for fine natural looking gravel. Anybody have an ideas where to source something locally?
Thanks
Have you looked into the garnet blasting sand? About $20 for a 50 lb bag. Bichirs look great on them.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I am so glad I am on this group now, I had totally forgotten about black blasting sand and was going to buy fluorite black for my 200g. That cost would have been INSANE.

OMG - I just put a brown Fluorite in a tank that now houses plastic plants because the Texas Red Cichild in there, likes to destroy -- no, annihilate -- plant matter of any kind. NOT A FAN of that substrate at ALL. I mixed in pretty pea gravel - thank god - or it would have been a total loss. I'm running undergravel filters in there too - which is also very stupid. I need to get Tankie a new, bigger tank with gravel substrate.