Channa aurantimaculata

cichlid-gal

A

Anonymous

Thats awesome. But where to aquire one of these fish?

dwarfpike

Sadly it's listed by family: (ii) Family Channidae

Which means all Channa and Parachanna are illegal. Some of the dwarf species are quite colorful.

cichlid-gal

Bummer...well the fact that they can walk out of water could be a bit of an issue as far as keeping them contained so I totally understand the State's position on this....but still sad :(

anthony

yea there is also a rainbow snakehead that stays small but they are all snake heads. (illegal here)

Chiisai

hobbyorobsession said:
if channa were legal I would be all over them. stunning colors, interesting behavior.
If they were legal they would be perfect for water changes. You could drain the tank completely and fill it back up without taking out the fish  :bounce: 

Jubs

I have wanted a snakehead forever! I'm pretty sure they are banned in the whole country after the outbreak in Potomac river system in the PA and Virginia areas. It was many over a decade ago when I last heard of the bans happening though.

cichlid-gal

I just sigh when I look at these guys...they would have been so perfect for a garage species. I'm so disappointed. Now looking for another fish that can do the extremes....garage is probably 40-50 in a good winter (maybe 40 in a worse) and can hit 90 in the summer...really big range. Not many fish have that range.