catfish tank

Paintguy

I don't know if I would do a full tank of em but I think my pictus catfish are very entertaining. The even make an interesting growl that you can hear clearly when they get mad. The only thing to watch out for is netting them... reverse barbs on their fins get easily locked in the mesh.

johnpeezy

I have a tank of 6 Syno. petracolias and half a dozen plecos or so with one south american cichlid as a centerpiece fish. I love this tank. the catfish chase everyone around and keep movement going. Playing find the pleco is also very fun. Just be sure that you have lots of places for the guys to hide and have their own teritories. Clay pots, rocks, and Bog wood work great.

silas2m

i have 2 pictus at the moment but i was thinking of some pictus, raphael, featherfin and upside down. not sure

icer711

i love how busy the pictus are got 3 my self and my two Raphael are super lazy now don't do much till foods in the water and go back to sleep but there cool looking

shua

me and ash have one cat a tsn x rtc hybred we love him, sooooo much personality. you really can pet him and hand feed them..

as far as a tank goes you need a monster and a monster filter cats are dirty

what kind you looking into getting?

shua

silas2m said:
i have 2 pictus at the moment but i was thinking of some pictus, raphael, featherfin and upside down. not sure
raphs suck i promise you will regret that fish all they do is hide, the last time you will see them is when you put it in the tank... look into electric catfish (they get kinda big), glass cats, lema shovlenose(also kinda big), loachs, upside downs are cool but if you like them you might like buterfly fish sounds gay but its like a decked out miny arowanna

hbluehunter

Cats are cool but only like the big cats, I had a TSN, and a RTC, and they were like puppies when I came home.. They'd come right up to the top of the tank and take food right from my fingers.. But you must be ready for a monster.. They get HUGE!!

Ashley

It really depends on what kid of tank you have and the space you can provide for them. I love our big tsnXrtc but he is going to get about 3ft before he stops growing. He is already pushing 2ft.

As for the little cats I love the pictus and the balas because they never stop moving and they are pretty cute! :D

I definitely agree with the "you will regret the raphael" statement. They don't do anything! We didn't see ours for a good 6 months until we had to move tanks. We forgot he was in there!

Ashley

^^^ Now you're talkin! There is one at QT right now for like $160 I think. Only about 5" though. You might need a grow out tank :D

regan24

Raphael are awesome. They do this weird croaking thing, it's crazy. I haven't heard another catfish do it except for rafaels, sorry if they all do. Pictus are WAY NEAT! I love watching them and their movements.

Bassman42

Juarenses. These cats are awesome, they call it a flase Tigrinus. They have opposite color pattern. The Tig is white with black stripes and the Juarense is black with white stripes, and they cost hella less.

shua

regan24 said:
Raphael are awesome. They do this weird croaking thing, it's crazy. I haven't heard another catfish do it except for rafaels, sorry if they all do. Pictus are WAY NEAT! I love watching them and their movements.
rafs suck my tsn rtc growns when you pull them out

hbluehunter

Bassman42 said:
Juarenses. These cats are awesome, they call it a flase Tigrinus. They have opposite color pattern. The Tig is white with black stripes and the Juarense is black with white stripes, and they cost hella less.
I had one of those a few years back, he was cool as hell but never grew. I had it for months and i don't think it grew an inch.. :evil: so i finally got tired of him and sold him to a buddy.. If they grew faster i'd grab one again.

Billiethekid

i have a Raph in my Cichlid tank as a extra food eater.. i see him daily coming out and munching on pellets tht hit the ground... he never is in the same spot and loves to chill with my eel in caves...
and i just got my first pictus a couple days ago and after i acclimated him and caught him in the net to move him over he started to growl at me and thrash...
I used to have a Columbian River Shark (silver tipped shark), he was doin all chill and growing was about 6"(got him at 3") and my circut to my room tripped sometime during the night so my cat died gaspin for air... he was cool and looked nice but too complicated care.. he needed Brackish water as i later found out...

Addictedtofish

How about the ripsaw catfish, I think those are really cool looking,They have one at Pet Pourri on display and I also think Cory on here has one for sale still around 18".

thefishdaddy

i love my jaguar catfish mine are like watching little kids pick out cereal haha i also have a 11 year old "ojudo" catfish im not sure of the name i just found it on google after 11 years haha but hes a good lookin cat for being somewhat plain