Can’t figure out why this female angel is flaring her gills

blobaugh

Howdy all you fish lovers!

I am having a bit of a head scratcher over here. Hoping our collective brains can shed better light….. My female marble angelfish started flaring her gills big time a couple weeks ago. I watched her for a couple days with no change, then pulled her out and she went into a quarantine tank with some General Cure. She has been in there for about a week and the major flaring is gone. Usually she looks fine, however sporadically throughout the day I see her flaring those gills again. The flare is much smaller. Other than that, she is acting healthy, swimming fine, eating, and showing interest when I walk up to the tank.

Any ideas on what could be happening now, and ways it can be remedied?

blobaugh

Sure, sorry I did not post one before. The lights were already out when I thought about making a post.

Here is a video. 10 minutes before this she was not flaring. This is about the worst that she does it now. When I pulled her out of her display tank her gills were about as far out as possible, but were not discolored at that time.

The tank is empty, except for a small bit of leftover sand, a sponge filter, and a newer angel that is still in quarantine.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Well, she doesn't seem to be having a great deal of trouble breathing, maybe a bit more than usual, but nothing drastic. It almost looks like she has some kind of inflammation in her gills, causing them to be swollen. This can be due to stress-induced adventitious infections, so I'd try water changes, lots of them, and see if she improves. There are medications for gill infections, but it's a shot in the dark unless you have some idea of the pathogen that's involved, and at the moment, you don't. Good luck.

blobaugh

Quick update on the lady- left her in quarantine for 3 weeks. She was still flaring at the end of that time. She is back in the 150 the others, still flaring but otherwise acting normal. I guess this is just how she is now. Sh e is not acting abnormal otherwise.

blobaugh

Last update was in June. This old gal is still kicking. No idea how or why. Her gills look horrible, but she acts normal otherwise ‍♂️. The saga continues.

67452522-DE48-49CB-843E-0A7620B44A5B.jpeg

19C46268-154E-4513-8698-F24791C8BA2A.jpeg