Cannot get the water clean

i wouldnt run out and get a new filter either , i would add a fine filter at the top of the filter media in the last basket of your filters. i would also do larger water changes. and try to re-think the water flow

Zerc

I was afraid of that :cry:

I put some spare equipment up on CL, maybe i can fix this tonight with a 3rd filter. (more cant hurt!)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Jantilla, had been complaining about similar issues. The waste sitting on top of the sand and what not. He does lots of water changes.... but has not got what he has wanted from his set up yet. Almost sounds as if a mechanical filter of some sort is needed in the mix. Room for a HOB on yours?

JimA

I posted this way back when but it's still working fantastic!! It does help to have the background. There was also a thread on MFK I forget the gals name but she was using spa filter canisters (rainbow brand) for her 1500 gallon tank if not bigger.

Here is my home made filtration system I just came up with, so far it's working great. Basically similar to whats in some hot tubs. I wanted more mechanical filtration and will gain some bio as well.

All the parts.

Picture064.jpg

24 hr 115v circ pump 15 gal a min 900 an hour.

Picture065.jpg

Filter and filter fitting. Can be removed in seconds and replaced with new, then clean the dirty one it's 50 sq ft

Picture066.jpg

Hooked up and running in the bath tub to clean it out.

Picture068.jpg

Flow coming out, I had a air injector called a mazzi injector but it was to much air.

Picture071.jpg

Filter hiding behind the 3d background.

Picture081.jpg

So far really happy with the results. Water is crystal clear. I think for the average person a canister filter like a FX 5 would be more economical this was more less thinking outside the box. I am in the spa industry so parts for me were very cheap ;)

010.jpg

002.jpg

006.jpg

013.jpg

Zerc

Well, i figured since i have two new fish coming, and a 3rd growing out in my planted tank that i might as well preemptively bite the bullet. So i got a magnum 350 and put in the air filter type insert for water polishing instead of the standard sponge. I had some extra filter pipe and some leftover pvc so its almost all plumbed in, im working on it now so it should be up and running tonight/tomorrow.

Zerc

I figured i had the same filtration on my 120, and my bioload is going to increase a lot as these fish grow, so i might as well get another filter now. I overstock my tank to cut down on aggression, so i have to pay for the over-filteration too.

JimA

Almost works to well. Constantly changing/cleaning the filter. Air in the canister can be a pain to get out. The cheap waterline connections. I just didn't like it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive never thought about the maintenance of the polisher. It is funny that it it would almost work too well.

Zerc

I hope it works as well as you say. It is a small canister compared to my other ones, so i wouldn't mind cleaning it once a week if it kept my water clear!

Zerc

it came with those super convenient valve/disconnects that i can put on the input/output tubes!

JimA

I shouldn't give it such a bad review. Overall I just didn't care for it. For the price you would think they could use some better components.

Zerc

I agree some of the parts felt sort of cheap, and i FAR prefer the tubing that came with my Rena filters, but i really like the design on this one, this morning the polisher filter was covered in stuff!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You can easily change out tubing to the more flexible stuff.

Zerc

well, its on there now :)
i just had to soak the ends in a little boiling water and clamp them down.