Camallanus Worms Outbreak (Succesful Treatment) (Dose and schedule in first post)

plaamoo

Good luck peylix!
Something else to consider in dosing is the amount of organic material in the tank. Plants, wood, substrate etc can absorb meds and interfere with the treatment. This is why my q-tanks are bare bones.

Peylix

plaamoo said:
Good luck peylix!
Something else to consider in dosing is the amount of organic material in the tank. Plants, wood, substrate etc can absorb meds and interfere with the treatment. This is why my q-tanks are bare bones.
Didn't think of that. I'll take that into consideration should I run into any hiccups. Thanks!

LuminousAphid

also, my tank is heavy on inverts, so hopefully there is no ill effects on snails or shrimp. i think i read that snails are a carrier of the eggs or an intermediate life stage, but i don't want a sudden huge die-off of snails... that could be worse than the worms in the first place

Peylix

LuminousAphid said:
also, my tank is heavy on inverts, so hopefully there is no ill effects on snails or shrimp. i think i read that snails are a carrier of the eggs or an intermediate life stage, but i don't want a sudden huge die-off of snails... that could be worse than the worms in the first place
I have read no ill effects of Levamisole against inverts. Other meds though I'm not too sure as I have focused all my time and energy on Levamisole as that's the med I procured. If you go another route other than Leva. I'd do a quick search with toxicity for said med.

I have also updated my main post with a treatment journal since I started the medication. So keep an eye on there as I'll be updating it as the treatment progresses.

LuminousAphid

ok good to know, i guess it's copepods and not snails. also, the secondary infection aspect is interesting, that could well be the case with a ram i had that had worms and wouldn't eat. thanks for posting results of this, rep for you sir!

star_rider

I think how the life cycle works varies with the species of camallanus.. some shed eggs others shed live larvae.
that said it is believed they still need an intermediate host (usually something like a copepod or other crustacean)
IME levamisol had no ill effect on the snails in my tanks.. but I can't say for the shrimp as they are not in my discus/angel tanks.(at least not for very long)

Peylix

I want to extend a thank you to every one of you who have come in this thread and and helped with this problem. I updated the main post with the third and final dose of the first battery of treatment. It's not done though. I have to repeat the three doses 2 more times over the course of the month to ensure all eggs and larvae are taken care of.

I've searched high and low for ideas and info on how to treat. The thread we created has lots of great info and I was able to use all of it for a treatment that is working.

Thank you.  :beer:

Oh man, I'm glad your other fish seem to have taken well to the medication treatments, I hope your German Blue Ram pulls through and recovers along with them! :)

Thank you for keeping us updated, following this thread has been really nice, with your updates.

Peylix

PokeSephiroth said:
Oh man, I'm glad your other fish seem to have taken well to the medication treatments, I hope your German Blue Ram pulls through and recovers along with them! :)

Thank you for keeping us updated, following this thread has been really nice, with your updates.
Me too. :/

LuminousAphid

really glad to see this has worked for you, i will try and get my hands on some to treat my tank... most fish are ok but my female gbr is really getting hit hard by it now

Peylix

LuminousAphid said:
really glad to see this has worked for you, i will try and get my hands on some to treat my tank... most fish are ok but my female gbr is really getting hit hard by it now
Best of luck to you man.  :heart: 

plaamoo

Sorry about the Ram. If you're up to it cut open it's belly with a razor knife and see if it's full of worms. If so, are they still alive? I lost a few of the rainbows that I treated as their bellies were so full of dead worms that they couldn't pass them.

Missgrumpygills

I noticed one of my guppies has these worms sticking out :/ so far she is the only one that I can see. It has been like that for a few days, she is pregnant so I thought she was just giving birth, but upon further inspection something seemed odd. She definitely has them, so should I remove her? Treat the whole tank? I have never treated for anything like this, what should I use?

Peylix

Missgrumpygills said:
I noticed one of my guppies has these worms sticking out :/ so far she is the only one that I can see. It has been like that for a few days, she is pregnant so I thought she was just giving birth, but upon further inspection something seemed odd. She definitely has them, so should I remove her? Treat the whole tank? I have never treated for anything like this, what should I use?
Treat the whole tank. Once you see the worms protruding out of the anus. They have been releasing their offspring in the tank. As for what to use. Levamisole HCL. You can buy some under the name Prohibit. If you are unable to find any. I have some left over from my treatment that I'd be willing to sell to you. Dose and instructions are posted in my first post. But it's 1/10th of 1/4th tsp per 10 gallons for dose. So once you get the medication. Measure out 1/4th tsp and then cut that small pile into 10 even piles. Each pile treats 10 gallons.

When dosing. Black out the tank the entire time it's in. You can follow my schedule that I have also posted on my first post.

I eradicated the worms after the 2nd battery of treatment (1 battery = 3 treatments). Hope this helps.

Missgrumpygills

Peylix said:
Black out the tank the entire time it's in. You can follow my schedule that I have also posted on my first post.
I have live plants, will they be ok? Do you have enough medication to eradicate the worms in my tank?(I have a 40 gal) If it is showing on only one guppy, have I caught it early?

Peylix

Missgrumpygills said:
I have live plants, will they be ok? Do you have enough medication to eradicate the worms in my tank?(I have a 40 gal) If it is showing on only one guppy, have I caught it early?
Your plants will do fine. Fish as well though they will be sluggish and will lose a bit of appetite. I do have enough medication for a 40g actually. =]
And yes you have. But others may have it too. Only adult worms protrude so juvi worms are more than likely in the gut of some other fish.