Bumbling discus?

Chiisai

Ok so i have about 1"-3" discus in a 65gal tank. I have been doing 25-40 gal water changes everyday with a temp of 89f. Tonight about 2 hours after the water change the bigger ones are swimming around bumbling into everything or hovering towards the surface atarring at the top. Any thoughts?

Chiisai

Oh btw

0ppm nitrites
0ppm nitrates
0ppm ammonia

Filtration is large sponge filter and a fluval cannister filter
Moderately planted tank(a few snails and shrimp to clean up any food i miss)
Also added a airstone thinkong maybe theybare gasping for air? Idk what to do

ziggyzoo

I dont know much about discus but i would guess temp too high? My tanks at 82. Iv never gone over 86 (when treating ich) just a guess though, Good luck!

Chiisai

Discus like hogher temps, seems lots keep their tank 90ish. Tanks been running for 6mo now. I just dont understand how with 25gal+ water changes via bucket brigade, cannister filter moving water and air powered sponge filter all of a sudden i am getting low air. I will cross my fongers and hope they make it through the noght. Also added 1tbsp of salt for good measure.

Killybeys

Chiisai said:
Ok so i have about 1"-3" discus in a 65gal tank. I have been doing 25-40 gal water changes everyday with a temp of 89f. Tonight about 2 hours after the water change the bigger ones are swimming around bumbling into everything or hovering towards the surface atarring at the top. Any thoughts?

From what i've read 89 might be a little high. Young discus seem to like 85ish water and adults like 82ish. Maybe try reducing the heat?

clownie

How long have you had them? Are you using tap water for WC's? It could be your changing too much water at a time. Slow it down to about 30 gallons a week and see if that helps. HTH

Chiisai

Had the discus for about 3 1/2 mo i think. Yes i use 24hr old tap water treated of course. Problem is now waters is kinda cloudy so its a catch 22... Stop water changing and hope for the best or (what i am doing now) doing 5 gal changes every 2-3hoirs till it clears up. Ugh... Damn hospital tank had to spring a leak at worse possible time

clownie

Depending on your pH, doing large WC's can trigger a small cycle, maybe that's the cloudy water now. Do you know the water parameters from where they came from? Try to match as close as you can pH,hardness,temp fromthe tank they came from and see if that could make a difference. How many do you have in the 65 gallon?

thecarl

On the water temp issue, I've been told by local breeders that the young discus are actually best raised in 90-92F water with the adult size ones being okay between 82-86F, so that's probably not the problem. I've never had that issue with my discus and they've been at 92F for almost a year before I dropped the tank down to 86F now that they're all older.

clownie said:
Depending on your pH, doing large WC's can trigger a small cycle, maybe that's the cloudy water now.

Clownie, I am curious about what you said here. Can you explain this a little more so I can wrap my head around it?

That video is very well done.

I am still confused by what you meant by "trigger a small cycle." I see that a pH change can change the ratio of Ammonia to Ammonium, but I don't see how that relates to cycling. My understanding is that the bio cycle consumes both Ammonia and Ammonium. But, I have to admit that I haven't paid much attention and most resources just describe it as "Ammonia".

Chiisai

Sorry been super busy... Lost two one day 2. Did a 5 gal change yesterday just to be safe. I will try doing smaller water changes and see if thats the issue ir if water quality is affected. 2 of thems fins are still dark but yesterday morning they started eating again.

Chiisai

My guess mark would be large water changes or PH swings remove or adversely affect the bio filter type bacteria that consume nitrogen and ammonia. Also based off that video if my ph swung from 7 to 8 ammonia present would be geometric. However youd think the vast amounts of ammonia free water would counteract that

reniculous1

Discus bumping into things like that could be gill flukes. Prazi pro is a very mild med and works very well. Also aquarium salt is your best friend.

reniculous1

Also 0ppm on everything is not good. You don't have a cycled tank. Not a good idea to cycle a tank with discus. Especially young ones. Until you get some good bactiria I would do a 50% water change a day. You can get some nite-out to super start it, it's good bacteria and it will seed your filter

Chiisai

Well to be honest I think it was water change too much. I have left the tank alone and only done 10gal change every other day and the discus are doing much better. Doing more of a water change than what I was would most certainly make the most cycled tank un cycled.

reniculous1

Water change won't hurt them or kill your good bacteria. The bacteria grows on everything so doung water changes just refreshes the water and takes ammonia out. Just keep up on testing the tank. When it starts to cycle there will be an ammonia spike and it could kill the discus easily