Bucephalandra (Buce) species

A

Anonymous

Bucephalandra don't seem to be mentioned much . Anyone grow these? Any personal experience?

A

Anonymous

Think I'll start with one of the red stem species. 'Browni Red' seems like a place to start.

MRTom

Sounds like a thinner, longer version of anubias. Very interested in how it works out for you. I like the fake catherinae!

Nick_87

I also have been reading up these neat plants too but they seem to be out of my price range. Not quite sure why they are so expensive but I have seen a lot of them for sale for $100+ for a small plants. I guess I will just be living vicariously through you!

A

Anonymous

MRTom said:
Sounds like a thinner, longer version of anubias. Very interested in how it works out for you. I like the fake catherinae!
Each species also grow a bit different. Some will be lengthy others will grow in dense clumps. Like the browni red I seen pictures where they grew in tight clumps. Thinking about stripping one of my logs of trident ferns amd giving this a try.

Nick_87 said:
I also have been reading up these neat plants too but they seem to be out of my price range. Not quite sure why they are so expensive but I have seen a lot of them for sale for $100+ for a small plants. I guess I will just be living vicariously through you!
Yes, some rare Buse are crazy prices. I wanna dabble in it 1st before making a $100 commitment. Even though the red browni price average $20 a plant  :scratch: .

A

Anonymous

Oh god I just made the plunge. Starting out with 2 plants of Buse 'ghost'. Only cost my left arm ;)LOL
aa0b54d7a7972087b9df9dfe62981234_zps6647e924.jpg

Also have a crypt 'flamingo' on its way as well.  :bounce:

A

Anonymous

Will do Nick. I'll have to warn you though. I am hearing this is a real sloOw growing plant. The plant that's in the picture is a year old. And I don't know what size it was when he fist planted it.

cichlid-gal

Looks like a beautiful plant. You will have to find a very special place for it in your big tank so it doesn't get lost and stays front and center so to speak but what a showstopper it could be. And great to challenge yourself with these unusual plants. Looking forward to some nice pics.

A

Anonymous

cichlid-gal said:
Looks like a beautiful plant.  You will have to find a very special place for it in your big tank so it doesn't get lost and stays front and center so to speak but what a showstopper it could be.  And great to challenge yourself with these unusual plants.  Looking forward to some nice pics.
At $35 EA Donna I will plant them where I can see it, LOL. I spent a couple hours last night doing a complete plant overhaul in the 7' tank. Many of the small starter plants I got from Hobbyorobsession and Hyp3rcrav3 are getting tall enough to transplant into a 2' deep tank. These are nice show piece plants so I had to make room for them. I have been inspired by Dutch Type aquascapes and slowly converting the 7' tanks plants to many that we see in that type aquascape. I will be removing those beautiful Lotus' plants I have today to make room for some really neat new additions.

Pictures to come :)

binbin9

slow growing plants but extremely hardy. I thought I killed mine a couple of times but it keeps coming back.

Are there still concerns about how sustainably these plants are collected in the wild? my understanding was they were just taken from wild places with very limited hobby propagation.

A

Anonymous

hobbyorobsession said:
Are there still concerns about how sustainably these plants are collected in the wild?  my understanding was they were just taken from wild places with very limited hobby propagation.
I am not sure. All the reading found never mentioned anything about collecting concerns. I would be interested in finding out.

A

Anonymous

binbin9 said:
slow growing plants but extremely hardy. I thought I killed mine a couple of times but it keeps coming back.
What type(s) do you grow? Do you have a picture to share?

A

Anonymous

binbin9 said:
i'll take a photo tonight of the tiny thing, i havent a clue what it is
Lol binbin9.

And I'll help you identify :)

I appreciate the photo. My interest is high with this new plant. If successful I would like to switch out many of my Anubias in my 140.

I have 2 stems of a species called 'ghost' coming and should be here today or tomorrow. I'm pretty stoked!

cichlid-gal

fishNAbowl said:
hobbyorobsession said:
Are there still concerns about how sustainably these plants are collected in the wild?  my understanding was they were just taken from wild places with very limited hobby propagation.
I am not sure. All the reading found never mentioned anything about collecting concerns. I would be interested in finding out.
Found a great thread with info on these plants.  At the end of it there is a blurb:

Unfortunately, Bucephalandras are slowly disappearing from the environment, mainly due to exploitation and deforestation on the island of Borneo. Many varieties are becoming harder to find, and some now only exist in captivity. While this is sad news, it is also comforting to know that the collecting of these plants can be beneficial to their long-term survival as many parts of Borneo are facing wide-scale deforestation. We can only hope that in the future, Borneo will face fewer environmental threats which in turn will help protect these beautiful plants.

and here's the full thread
Bucephalandra  Thread

A

Anonymous

Here's a snap shot of the Buce 'ghost' I picked up about 3 weeks ago. The plant  grows  like Anubias petite but with a reddish rhizome and darker oblong leaves. The leaves also have these micro spots on them that kind of has this sheen...

I am really liking this plant. It does grow slow and was a bit smaller than expected but still liking this species. Just ordered a little larger species with a dark leaf. Think it will look well growing among the light green leaves of Java 'needle leaf'.

Bucephalandra 'Black Titan'