Bristlenose pleco caves

MorganEA

from what I have read the females have little to no bristles and if they do have bristles they are tiny and only around their lip also the females are smaller and their head isn't as wide.
photo16.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Ali said:
Stupid newbie question:You can tell males from females by the quantity and location of bristles? So how can you tell in other species?

Other species aren't as easy to sex unfortunately

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
And don't feel bad about asking a "newbie" question! That's what we are here for to learn and to teach each other! :D

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
MorganEA said:
from what I have read the females have little to no bristles and if they do have bristles they are tiny and only around their lip also the females are smaller and their head isn't as wide.
photo16.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

Once they reach full maturity this is true. The male pleco I have sitting on eggs in my post looks like your female here. But he is just coming of age about a year old so his bristles are still growing :)

Betty

Staff member
Two of my females. Small bristles around the front, but none running up the center of the nose or snout or whatever it's called. :roll:
IMG_46652.jpg

59dde19a.jpg

Females with babies.
[youtube]4QI15YaKf-g[/youtube]

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I was surprised but excited all at the same time! Now I can make good use of the case of green beans I bought lol

MorganEA

I'm hoping that separating mine into their own tank will get mine going. The one male is obviously ready I just need to fatten up the females. Are you able to test your water for me and tell me what your parameters are ShortyKiloGyrl? Betty would you be willing to do the same?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Yeah I can do it tonight. I have been using RO/DI water :) My pH should be close to 7.0 since I use Seachem Neutral Regulator with my RO/DI water

MorganEA

Im not quite sure how old they were when they came to me but I've had them for a year.
*Edit* I guess not! I cant keep track of time it will be a year in July.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Okay so I would say they were between 4-6 months old but betty would have a better idea on age at that size.

Betty

Staff member
Oh, sorry, I haven't done any water testing in years. I remember that my water is pretty hard. I don't bother with trying to adjust parameters -- I just keep it clean.

I would say yours are older than 6 months if they were already 1.5 inches when you got them. I'd guess they are closer to a year or more. But the rate of growth really varies. The young ones that I raise in the pleco tank grow much more quickly than any I move into other tanks. They get tons to eat and huge water changes in the pleco tank.

If you want to give the fry the best chance of survival, a tank of their own is a good idea. Feed them a good staple food and some fresh veggies or try the canned French style green beans. Mine insist on French-style! They will like a nice piece of driftwood as well. Also a variety of cave styles and sizes to choose from. Most of mine like small and tight fitting caves, like those stones that I have pictured earlier. Those stones are even smaller than the small size cichlid stones that can be ordered online. I also have a log-style cave that I got from Aquarium Coop that gets used regularly.

I've noticed in the past that a particularly large water change or a water change that lowers the water temperature just a little bit will bring on spawning.

My big male took a few spawns to figure out how to keep the eggs in his log. He kept fanning them right out the big opening. The males that use the stones have never had that problem, I guess because there is a lip that keeps them inside better? Not sure about that.

The eggs don't take long to turn into little plecos. My males keep them inside a few days after the egg sacks seem to be absorbed, then one day there will be babies all over the place!

The first picture is from the day I found the eggs kicked out of the log. The last picture was only 5 days later.
e5b9cba9.jpg

c8769ee7.jpg

fcca8a13.jpg

716abd1a.jpg

Cute little babies on a suction clip that I put a few green bean strips on.
176a551b.jpg

Good food, clean water and you should see babies before long. :D