Breeding Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Cool set up. Is it me or is $1200 for four 20 gallon tanks and five 10 gallon tanks a bit high? I think of buying those on the Petco sale new, along with sponge filters, air pumps, lighting, building my own custom stand and I feel that I would not spend that much. Even with the money making shrimp and plants in the equation just seems high priced.

John58Ford

DPG sale is best case, (20x4)+(10x5)=130 minimum tanks. Standard glass lid kits are ~20x9=180 (but my custom lids are cheaper). Stingray 2, 35x4=140, decent 48" light 50. Used filters, most of us give away free but... (2x20)+(9x10)+(2x20)=130. 9 good heaters could be $1000 on their own but more likely 30x9=270.
~850 before stand and plants. That is a clean looking stand and seems well thought out so most would value it in the 300-500 to commission a build, don't know what a flat pack version might cost you if it exists. The plants, if you were to pay retail could be several hundred dollars easily, and I don't know jack about shrimp lol.

Issue here is simple though, I have an ltz Tahoe, I bought it many many moons ago and it is well loved. Today's equivalent is worth about 110,000, but I wouldn't even ask 20,000. Conversely some very fine collectors vehicles with low low miles and little evidence of love modern equivalents would be in the 250,000+range and you just might get that. I don't think these tanks are collectors vehicles by any means, 50% or more depreciation is expected in most hobby items, trying to spin it as a business start up to net 90% isn't so classy, in my low brow blue collar opinion lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.