Breeding Electric Blue Jacks

sandnuka

I wrote this on ID me, but figured I should put it in this section were it belongs.

The Electric Blue Jack is not a HYBRID, it is actually found in the wild..... they are really hard to breed a good quality bunch. You have to have a male electric blue spawn with a female normal jack dempsey, then out of there fry you find a female... her gene would be half electric and half normal..... Then she has to spawn with a Electric blue male, (preferably not her father) this would cause inbreeding problems and abdnormalities like, silver fish,mutated, handicapped, or fish that just die at really young age.....

Even when bread correctly only half the fry will be good electric blue jacks..... This is why they are sooooo expensive!!! I myself have a Electric Blue Jack that has a silver/white body, and very blue face and tail... it is awesome looking!!! Here is a pic of some babies that will most likely turn completly blue..

dempse11.jpg

Mikey

Wow, some good info there. I always stayed away from these because I thought they were Hybrids, and that their colors would disappear (like colored parrot fish). Thanks for that! :D

sandnuka

The pic in there is just one I found online.... They do look exactly like my little guys though..... THe silver/white body, and really blue head/fins..... only difference is my fish has a almost completly black dorsal fin with a blue stripe on the top.... so I think mine are better... I will take a pic and upload it on here when I get some time.

sandnuka

my tank is too full as it is.... When they start growing, and I have to get rid of one because of fights, I will hit you up for sure though.

crazyfish253

dose anyone know who has spawn them in washington yet??? I hear people say thay have but thay have no clue what a BGJD even is?

sandnuka

There is a post in freshwater fish for sale.... we have a member that breeds them, and he was sellin a couple breeding pair.... :) think out of enumclaw.... The two pet shops that are close to me always have them... Pet Pourri in everett, and Jones pet in marysville. good luck :)

crazyfish253

Sweet thats me i want to claim first to spawn electric blue jack dempsey's then in washington... I know there is someone up north with the EBJD.net domain name who has spawn BGJD..I allso think someone in vancover wa might have but im not sure..

alexmuw

I saw your post for EBJD fry. Looked like: Regular x EBJD.

So 1/2 fry would be EBJD. When you sold the fry, were you able to differentiate between the two?

GoodnNuff

You know, I have no idea, I was looking at Discus, saw a tank of young EBJDs but didn't check the price.

I'm bored, so I just called him - $32 he said.

Is that a good price? Same as the Discus I bought from him.

crazyfish253

yes, ive seen them up to 85$. Im hopeing to rais mine a little longer and sell them for 10 at 3/4" just now have enogh room wife hates the tanks all over.