BRAND NEW to this. Please help me, I need all the info I can get before I start my tank!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
BRAND NEW to this. Please help me, I need all the info I can get before I start my tank!

After discovering how difficult it is to find Dwarf Cichlids close to me I am going to run with a SW tank for my 30 gallon. Here is what I currently have for it and/or what I want to do.

30 gallon bowfront tank, with stand, HOB Whisper filter, Eheim canister filter (rated up to 70 gallons), heater, glass lid with hinge, and standard 30 gallon hood with light.

From here I have looked and discovered I LOVE the look of black sand and do want to run that route. I have looked into getting Tahitian Moon Sand. And so far I believe I will be going with fish only with live rocks. I have looked up fish through Petco/Petsmart to see what kind I want. I have written down names, size, care level, temperment, diet, and recommended tank size. I will only be getting thing labeled "peaceful" as well as rate for 30 gallons or under for tank size. However, after that my knowledge stops. I have read some online but feel overwhelmed and feel I could get better advice from fellow fishboxers :heart: that would be easier to understand. I need advice on filtration system, best kind of water to use (have read up a little on RODI water but would have to drive an hour to get it at the closest), protein skimmers for best price, best stores for fish (other than Petco/Petsmart but yet around the Olympia/Lacey area about an hour away from me), and such. I plan on it being about a month or two before I purchase a protein skimmer. However I was wondering if I need a protein skimmer before I get fish? All confusing for me since I have only had at most a 10 gallon with standard tropical fish in it; tetras, angel fish, hatchets, and have recently been helping my boyfriend with his African Cichlid tank and learning some about them.

Fellow FishBoxers please help me :) I know there are knowledgeable SW keepers that are able to help me with this!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Re: BRAND NEW to this. Please help me, I need all the info I can get before I start my tank!

By the way I do know that I have been advised if I am going to use the canister filter I must remove the biowheels/balls because they collect too much bacteria.

Re: BRAND NEW to this. Please help me, I need all the info I can get before I start my tank!

I would suggest that you pick up a beginner saltwater book.Saltwater for dummies was a good one for me .Were about do you live and I and others could tell you all the LFS around you .As far as filtration i prefer a sump system.That is when there is another smaller tank below that be tank and the water runs threw it.Is that the best way i dunno.As far as water i only use ro to top off and use ro saltwater to do water changes.Ro is cleaner water. Your first step is to read ,then plan ,then buy,after all that slowly set up.Your going to want to get some live rock, and sand(or crushed coral).Place that in the tank for roughly a month,to cycle.Be for putting any thing in it.Keep reading and questing in that month and then after.Saltwater tanks are not easy or cheap.I can tell you that much.I Hoped i help alittle.Good luck with you tank.

sandnuka

didnt think you could use black sand on SW tanks..... wow, I really need to read up on this... lol... Pretty much thought it had to be crushed coral or aragonite (sp) stuff.

Lilfishie is the best person to ask about this stuff though.... sure she will reply in the morning!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

This does help me some allouttabubblegum. I did know to use live rock and sand. Then to add some bottom critters like hermit crabs and then ad a fish, then another. Do it slowly about 2 weeks apart from each fish added. And to keep checking the parameters.

I live in Aberdeen. About an hour southwest of Olympia. So Oly/Lacey is going to be my closest bet. We have two local fish stores down here but neither have sw supplies or fish. Just freshwater.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

lilfishie and I have been talking a little bit, but I like to get multiple people's advice. No offense lilfishie. I don't mean that rudely, I just believe the more input the better. :)

sandnuka

unfortunetly there is only 4 or 5 members on here that do SW :( ....our SW section is really weak if you noticed... but lilfishie is the mod for the section and is doin an awesome job at answering questions and helping out beginners....

The two sites you pointed out to me are not sites of what substrate for SW to use, but are sites that sell products.... You gotta be careful listening to thoughs comments.... they are sales pitches.... I have never seen a nice live rock setup with black sand before, thats why i doubted it.... but, I have never had a SW tank..... so I am the last person to ask..... Spyral just started a new SW tank, looks gorgeous, he using aragonite as substrate, not sure what reason he had for this??? cause I know he loves black sand, its in all his FW tanks. might want to see what he says? :) Good luck with SW tank though.... I wish I could start one, dont have the money or time to get close to starting up a nice one. :(

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

I am starting to think I'm at that point unfortunately. I love the idea of one and I'm doing tons of research before jumping in. That's why I'm asking so many questions. But cost is possibly going to be too high for me. I may just have to run with FW and figure out a different fish than dwarf cichlids. :( So difficult to decide lol. I want something with bright colors, I'm bored with the basics of bland "tropical fish." I have x-ray tetras, hatches, an angel fish, bala shark, frog, and pleco. They all are silver and black with a little bit of color in the tetras. :/ I added plants to give it color lol. I want colorful fish!

sandnuka

well you bein in the middle of no where is gonna probably be a problem to gettin any FW fish thats super colorful besides the standard tropical guys you want to stay away from.... maybe its time for a road trip to get some dwarfs or other bright colored cichlids for a simple, inexpensive FW setup. :)

sandnuka

I just found this from a quick search....

"The best kind of substrate to choose is one that is naturally high in calcium content that originates from the ocean. Aragonite, coral/reef, and shell-based mediums are the top choices, which can be bought in various colors such as pink, black, white and neutral tones, and come in a wide range of consistencies from very fine to small grain, and medium to course textures."

So I dont think your tahianina moon sand is high in calcium... but im sure you can find other black ones??? ive just never seen them. good luck!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

That's what I'm starting to think. :/ I'd like to go the route with dwarfs but I don't want to have to make a bunch of trips. One trip to stock my tank would be nice but then I'm betting levels would SPIKE horribly. Could always treat the water I guess to keep them alive.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

good to know!! :) I'll keep an eye out and let you know what I find! I'm betting I'll get Tahitian Moon Sand if I run the FW route though. Lots of people seem to use it.

sandnuka

Gettin a bunch of fish at once shouldnt spike the levels if the tank is well established..... I do this by using water/filters from my other tanks.... or a cruel but effective way is gettin a bunch of goldfish... and makin them suffer thru the cycle ;) .... then you can add all the fish you want at the same time, wont effect anything..... just take out the goldfish first! lol

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Well I guess with a canister filter rated to 70 gallons and a HOB whisper filter as well it should filter the water well too.

lilfishie

Just FYI, you can use a piece of raw shrimp instead of live fish to cycle your tank.

unconv-reefer

You can use the canister, when cleaning remove the sponge and cotton filters and run under hot water until clean. Do not clean the canister itself, just agitate the last bit of SW in the botton to get the gunk out.

My reasoning for this is you will start growing tube worms and other good animals in the bottom and the sides, I grew a scallop to about 2" before I went Sump.

If running fish only, you have a lot more wiggle room, you don't need the same parameters as with a reef, the lighing doesn't have to be as intense nor the filters. Skimming is optional.

I would recommend buying from Liveaquaria-through Dr. Fosters. I would prefer a LFS but haven't found too many really good one that weren't way over priced, that being said I did just buy some GSP locally. I have never had a bad exp ordering online from these people.

lilfishie

I agree with you on drs foster and smith. I have ordered just about everything from them. Great company. All my livestock orders from live aquaria have arrived in great healthy condition.

dawgwe1

Unconv - new to this so have to ask - what is GSP?

unconv-reefer

Green star polyp, Sorry I don't usually use too many abreviations