~~~Bowfin~~~

Wolf-Keeper1

First let me say, my water is a little cloudy I have to do a water change in the new tank, I'm using my Fluval 405 on it, straight from the other tank. Also I'm not using the lights I want. So with all that being said it isnt the best pics. I apologies for that.

I am truley excited to have this fish, it was a hard choice to make between this fish and the wolf. But the wolf was already at 8inches at the store and would only get a max of ten inches. I wanted something mean and of size for the tank. In the end this fish just made sense. it is going to be fun watching this thing grow.

I would like to add watching this thing swim is crazy it actually uses it's dorsal fin to move it's cool looking. And it's tail looks weird too. I couldnt get a full body shot this sucker is fast lol and then will hide.

Thank You to Ashley, she is the one that brought this fish to my attention. Much appreciated!

But enjoy and better clearer shots to come!

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

Wolf-Keeper1

Ashley said:
Yay cool! I'm glad you got him. Lets see some full tank shots when you get some spare time!
I don't know if you would be able to see him in a full tank shot lol. He is about 5-6 inches long I'll try. I'll do it when my water clears up some more.

Def an intreasting fish. Thanks for looking.

sandnuka

Love the fish... it looks so dangerous! lol, like I would be afraid to clean that tank when he gets bigger. Very cool though.... Since you are using a existing fluval can you probably wont have any cycling issues, but I would personally watch it close, check water parameters daily. dont want to loose him.

Wolf-Keeper1

sandnuka said:
Love the fish... it looks so dangerous! lol, like I would be afraid to clean that tank when he gets bigger. Very cool though.... Since you are using a existing fluval can you probably wont have any cycling issues, but I would personally watch it close, check water parameters daily. dont want to loose him.
it's crazy he does look mean or mad all the time. Man I was super happy to see the teeth in pics of adults. That's what I was looking for. As far as the water goes no doubt. I will be watching for everything. I may get another one but I am a bit nervous since the guy said he should be the only fish in the tank. But I did see one on YouTube with a pacman catfish. I may have to look into that thing. Thanks for looking. I plan on using a bigger can on this tank. How long should I run both cans to insure the new canister gets properly cycled?

The fluval 405 is made for up to 100 gallons. I want to get the fx5 for my 125 gallon tank. And use the fluval and my cascade on my 100 gallon tank like it was. My cascade canister is for up to 170 gallons.

Again thanks for looking

sandnuka

I over filter all my tanks... and the rating is never right... so if it says good for 100gals, i would probably say 75gals tops....

Depending on how much your feeding, and how much waste your bowfin creates is how long it will take to fully cycle... I personally would leave the established can in there for itleast 3 weeks. also, I wouldnt just use the fx5 for the 125, I would probably put a HOB (hang on back) filter for a little extra circulation and airation. :)

Do not hesistate to ask any question here, we got so many smart people that will keep you from loosing any fish!

Wolf-Keeper1

Addictedtofish said:
Could always try a air powered sponge filter with your fx5, they hold alot of bacteria and take alot less power.
I never seen one of those before. That's a weird filter. Do you have experience with them?

rattle1972

i would personally go with sponge filters also. i have them in every tank. they are really cheap, and when setting up new tanks. put the old ones from other tanks in the new ones, cycles alot faster.

Wolf-Keeper1

rattle1972 said:
i would personally go with sponge filters also. i have them in every tank. they are really cheap, and when setting up new tanks. put the old ones from other tanks in the new ones, cycles alot faster.
I did a little search when addicted mentioned it. I will have to look into those a little more. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Wolf-Keeper1

protocl said:
Kinda looks like a birchir.
they have a bicher there that is probably a foot and a half long. And the guy said it was just a baby. 119.99 someone should get it that thing looks like a dinosaur.

alexmuw

Forget the FX5. I was an FX5 fan until I saw the Ehiem 2260. Basically a 5 gallon bucket that pumps around 600 GPH.

Paintguy

Ive been reading through a bunch of the customer feedback on different kinds of filters on this site:

http://www.aquahobby.com/e_products.php

and it looks like Eheim is the Mercedes of canister filters... Fluval is maybe the Mazda. So many point out that the fluval has some weak & quickly wearing parts and from the quantity of pieces I see for sale on ebay it must need a lot of maintenance.

sandnuka

protocl said:
Kinda looks like a birchir.
Its defintly a bowfin, think cause its restin in all the pictures you might think birchir, but this guy is a bowfin all the way.... Was just at pet pourri, they have a bunch!