Blue eyed albino

Madness

Staff member
I noticed this evening that I do indeed have a pair of blue eyed albino BN, and they have babies in their tube.  The unfortunate thing is that they are in a tank with about 15 other plecos.  I dont think the odds are very good if I dont remove them, what do you pleco breeders think?

Betty

Staff member
I have multiple generations of bristlenose all together and new fry aren't bothered, but I don't know if that would be true if the other plecos weren't all bristlenose.

If you want to be sure they survive, moving them would be a good idea.  Are the fry still in a clump in the tube or are they loose and spread out?  I don't have any experience with removing fry, but I would think that if they are still tightly together and Dad is tending to them, you should move him along with the tube so he can continue to care for them until they are ready to come out on their own.  Hopefully someone who's done this can give you their experience.

Good luck and congrats on the spawn.  :cheers: 

Madness

Staff member
Thanks for the input Betty. They are bouncing around at the back of the tube with a sack still attached, while dad sits at the entry. The only issue is that I dont have anywhere to put them.

I could go pick up up a little breeder net or cage and put them in that once they are ready.

How long now before they start wanting to exit the tube?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Madness said:
The only issue is that I dont have anywhere to put them.
 :lmfao:  Too funny, they just keep on breeding every time you look away. Congrats on the cool blue eye albinos!

Betty

Staff member
If you can already see them moving, I'd guess less than a week before they come out. Most of my males try to keep them inside past the time their egg sacks are fully absorbed, but a few manage to slip out when there is still a little bit still left.

Madness

Staff member
Betty said:
If you can already see them moving, I'd guess less than a week before they come out.  Most of my males try to keep them inside past the time their egg sacks are fully absorbed, but a few manage to slip out when there is still a little bit still left.
Thanks Betty. So I have a week to figure something out. :)

Betty

Staff member
Probably less than a week... figure something out quickly to be on the safe side!

Mine went from pic 1 to pic 2 in less than a week. Dad tries to keep them in longer than what they look like in the last picture, but if this is yours' first brood, you never know what might happen.

e5b9cba9.jpg

716abd1a.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool! Blue eyed plecos!!!! Good luck buddy. Also, you could use my 20g long ..... I could drop it off tomorrow afternoon if you want something larger than a breeding net.

Cloudk

If it has blue eyes, wouldn't it be leucistic, not albino? If they have no melanin(pigment), then it shouldn't have blue eyes right? Is it actually leucistic but people call it albino anyway? I know people do that alot with reptiles.

Madness

Staff member
Good question, I cant answer that. All I know is that is what they call them, I agree with you, and really have no answer.  :wall: 

Cloudk

Do they have a pattern? Or mostly pure white with dots of pattern? Can i see a close pic or detailed pic of them? I'm really curious.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got any available yet? or are they still too small? I feel like I need a little clean up fish with the het's.

Cloudk

Yep leucistic for sure. Albino would have funky looking patterns and red eyes. I think leucistic animals look way cooler than albinos :)