Black sand safe for Salt Water??

Llovsbarbie

So as you guys know I have been setting up my seahorse tank and was wondering about using black sand. I have read so much on it and have came to a point were I cant decide if it is safe or not after all that I have read. Has anyone had any experiences with it? If so, how did it go? I was at the lfs and saw a bag of it and was soo tempted, but figured I would get some advice first. I have read that it could be dangerous because it is said to be magnetic? and then I have read that it isn't because it is found on beaches. Any advice would help. Thanks!

lilfishie

As long as it is silicate free and is NOT fine sand. Seahorses can get the fine stuff stuck in there mouth and will need to have it suctioned out or they will die.

lilfishie

If you can get up to burien to Barrier Reef, talk to.....I forgot the owners name, but there is a young lady there too, her name is Brie....or even call them. They will answer any questions. They have seahorses there often too.

theRedSkull

i put some black aragonite in my first tank, it doesnt seem to be "live" as they advertised (but i expected that), but it doesnt seem to be holding life either imo.
it looks like shell bits, not so much as crushed coral like regular aragonite it also contained more bark mulch/floaties in it.
but i dont think its garbage either, but i wont be buying that kind again (bought it from a petco-mpany)...