~~~Black Nasty~~~

Wolf-Keeper1

Yep you guessed it another fish found in my endless search. So more questions. Has anyone here had experience with this fish. Said to be able to kill dovii, jags, and fish 2x's and sometimes 3x's there size. Also know as the haitian cichlid or odo. As you guys can probably tell now I'm into very agressive mean fish. I also want to try a parachromis tank in the very near future. But I wouldn't mind keeping a Haitian cichlid or two in another tank. I know this cichlid is rare or atleast from what I've read. So looking for anyone that may have some experience or a lead for me to find some. Thanks in advance.

Wolf-Keeper1

Addictedtofish said:
Isn't that your nickname? :twisted: I also seen a picture of you with the nickname, " Black Nasty".

haha. I was waiting for someone to go in that direction. That's good stuff. I have a buddy from the Dominican republic. I may use that picture on haha.

Spyral said:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/haitian.php

I have seen these at Aquarist World in White Center.

I am going there at lunch today, I can check for you if you like.
hey if you can check on it for me that would be great. Thanks man! Much appreciated !

Madness

Staff member
From my experience, the name is mis-leading. They are aggressive, but no more than a Red Devil, or a Festae. Like a lot of the fish we buy these days, they have been a bit domesticated. So you may get one really mean nasty one out of 5 or so. I had 2 myself and they were both P***ys. They were both killed. One buy a Cuban the other by my pike. All were of equal size.

If you are interested in aggressive fish. Research the Grammode. Now this fish is not afraid of anything. I have read a lot about it cause I have one that is 6" and it was systematically picking out one fish at a time to dominate.

So as for your Nasty ?... :) they can be mean but I think you may be disappointed, and find out that they are not that aggressive. Not like you are wanting.

Wolf-Keeper1

madness said:
From my experience, the name is mis-leading. They are aggressive, but no more than a Red Devil, or a Festae. Like a lot of the fish we buy these days, they have been a bit domesticated. So you may get one really mean nasty one out of 5 or so. I had 2 myself and they were both P***ys. They were both killed. One buy a Cuban the other by my pike. All were of equal size.

If you are interested in aggressive fish. Research the Grammode. Now this fish is not afraid of anything. I have read a lot about it cause I have one that is 6" and it was systematically picking out one fish at a time to dominate.

So as for your Nasty ?... :) they can be mean but I think you may be disappointed, and find out that they are not that aggressive. Not like you are wanting.
thanks for the info and heads up. I was pulling all my info from google. But nothing beats experience. I actually never thought about the domesticated part that was some food for thought. May have to search for wild ones. As far as the other fish you mentioned I'll look into those aswell. I "plan" on getting a 500 gallon early next year. And would like to start growing some fish out. Atleast that's the plan. But from the cost of just the tank and shipping I may have to settle for a 300 for now. Thanks again.

Fern

You just need to go salt and get an eel!

Or get a flowerhorn and a bunch of crickets! :laughhard: I so need to video my boys eating crickets for you!

Wolf-Keeper1

I have a flowerhorn. I like them aswell pretty cool fish. Funny when they throw tantrums haha. Eventually I may turn one of my tanks into a SW tank but I need to learn more about them first and how to best keep it.

sandnuka

Out of all the new world cichlids Ive owned I would say my midas was the nastiest.... then followed by flowerhorn.... but ive never owned dovii, or jags. :(

Salzabar

Caquetaia Umbriferus
By far the nastiest New world cichlid I have ever owned. He got to 15" and was in my 110 before I turned it into a planted tank. When I first got him he was maybe 3" and killed both my oscars (12") and my pike (8") then my 14" pleco and then my midas (15") all before he got to 10". I kept him just to see if he would grow any bigger and he did and then jumped out of the tank and broke my glass coffee table. Died after drying out out and bleeding all over my carpet for about 4 to 6 hours. Bastard.

Wolf-Keeper1

I have read up on those umbee. I never owned one. YET!! But I'm sure I will. I know Dominique at aquarium paradise was trying to breed a couple but the male ( which I believe "endangered cichlid" bought) beat the holy hype out of her. Seen her the next morning my son was like WTF. Thanks for your input.

Sandnuka- thanks for your info. Appreciate you chiming in.

oh yeah , umbees r awsome , he already killed a flowerhorn that was twice his size and took his home , lol i couldnt get him out the tank and every time i went to get my hand in there to move rock then my midas and dovii thought they were going to eat meat (my hand ) .. so needless to say he got ate ... only the bones were left the next day .. i feed my fish 4 times a day and they still will eat a ton more if aloud , or something gets merked.

HALP

I had a female for a few months before my rtm stressed her our and made her bloat. One of my favorite fish, I think they are more territorial than aggressive. If anything went even close to her spot she would tear them a new one for about ten minutes.
They bloat very easy from what I have read on them, they need to be the boss

Wolf-Keeper1

endangered cichlids said:
oh yeah , umbees r awsome , he already killed a flowerhorn that was twice his size and took his home , lol i couldnt get him out the tank and every time i went to get my hand in there to move rock then my midas and dovii thought they were going to eat meat (my hand ) .. so needless to say he got ate ... only the bones were left the next day .. i feed my fish 4 times a day and they still will eat a ton more if aloud , or something gets merked.
whoa, I thought I had the main yard in my tank. That's crazy.

HALP said:
I had a female for a few months before my rtm stressed her our and made her bloat. One of my favorite fish, I think they are more territorial than aggressive. If anything went even close to her spot she would tear them a new one for about ten minutes.
They bloat very easy from what I have read on them, they need to be the boss
wow that's nuts. The info on the net is extremely misleading from all the actual experiences you guys are sharing. Thanks for the heads up. Not really sounding like my kind of fish then. Thanks for the info man.