Big Community Cichlids

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Well the time has come to get new stock and I am looking for ideas for BIG community cichlids. Lots of things I read say a fish can get 16" but realistically only get like 12". As an example Midas are said to get 16" but it is rare, seems like most top out at 12-13". I am looking for a real BIG sized fish. So on my list is the lowly Oscar which seems like has no trouble hitting 14", also a Pearsei which are known to hit 16".

Other fish I wonder about.... Jag, Snook, Any other ideas? :scratch:

I know Umbee, dovii get big. But too big for my 210g and not community fish so no go on these.

Zerc

P.Bass
Male red terror maybe?

I heard tilapia can get pretty big

Crenicichla strigata
Crencichla sp. venezuela

sandnuka

I advice against talapia, think its one of the most aggressive fish.... up there with dovii in my opinion... had nothing but bad luck with mine.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I want a wild caught looking O. Like the Bumble Bee ones Rapp's was selling.

I love the P bass, but really too small a tank.

I dont like male Red Terrors, I think the females look nicer.

Not a fan of Tilapia unless its a food item.

Not familiar with pikes but would consider...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Zerc said:
Royal peacock bass grows to 22" max, probably smaller in an aquarium.
Not a bad idea.

Cichla intermedia

Only problem is that they are hard to find.

sandnuka

If I had a 210 I was puttin new worlds in I would have to have red terror, trimac, midas, those are probably my favorite new world guys. :) maybe some JD, and GTs too. but I dont know how well they would hold up against the other three I named.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had a Midas that I lost in the first batch of illness. He was freakishly peaceful. The chance of finding another that easy going is slim.

A

Anonymous

I would go with a pearsei, and a few medium sized cichlids, like salvini or something like that. You know something around the 10 inch mark. So you have one big "center piece" and some nice accents. Or maybe 3 big guys like a zonatus, pearsei, and regani. They would compliment eachothers shape and colors nicely. Also look into fish like chuco godmani and the like. I think they are gorgeous and have never owned them. Would love to see an adult.

Madness

Staff member
Bifasciatus will reach 14-16", Bocourti will reach 14-16", Melanarus will reach 14", Zonatus will reach 14", Pearsi (already mentioned), Breidohri will reach 14", Lenticulata pike 16", strigata pike 16", Polypturus can range from 12" to 30", Black nasty (haitian) reach 14".

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
VW, your on the track that I was thinking. One big center piece fish is exactly what I want. I want it to be a real 16"+ fish, not a can get... I know each fish is different but some are just known to be bigger fish, thats all.

Thanks for the ideas madness, a few of those are a bit more aggressive than I would like.

fishman09

Amphilophus chancho for the win. Id do an amph tank if i were u. Get some devils hogas isletas and chanchos and keep one of each the coexist the best

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thats the thing, most of the amphilophus out there say they hit a certain size but it never happens. Its only a rare few that even come close, like jk's 14" beast. I want a 16"+ fish and really most of these hit about the 12" mark.

Zerc

If you're feeling brave you could try a largemouth bass... just need to quarantine it first!

:D