Beta Dropsy

Consecration

I have a crown tail Beta who is displaying symptoms of Dropsy. Ive never dealt with it but I looked up what dropsy is and it sounds about right. His stomach is extremely bloated and hes starting to get pine cone scales. There is also a very thin film of oily substance floating on top of the water. I have been doing daily water changes but every morning there is a fresh film of oil, yet again. I have been doing salt baths but it doesn't seem to be working. The past week I have watched him spiral down from a completely healthy happy beta, to one who isn't even interested in his food anymore. Today was the first day he didn't finish his food. I'm not sure what to do, if there is anything left to do. If anyone has any ideas or tips from past experience, I would be forever grateful. Thanks.

CrashSmAshley

Raise the temp to around 82F. Try feeding a tiny piece of thawed, skinless pea. It could in fact just be constipation. How long has he acted like this, and is it just recently that his scales have begin to raise?

If it is in fact dropsy, the scales begin to raise when organs start to fail, usually the kidneys, from viral or bacterial infections and/or chemical poisoning. If it's a viral infection, it's almost impossible to treat. Have you used any medicines? I recommend Maracyn Plus.

Consecration

I highly doubt that its constipation. He has been going to the bathroom regularly. Up until yesterday, he had been acting like his normal self behavior wise. he would swim to the top of the bowl begging for food every time id walk by. now he just kinda hangs out on top of one of the underwater plants. I started noticing him being bloated last week. I haven't tried any medicines, cause I honestly didn't know what it was and didn't want to add to the problem. Ive just been doing salt baths and water changes every day to get all that oily stuff out of the tank. I feel terrible for the little guy, It looks so uncomfortable. :(

Consecration

I have been reading a lot of articles on it and it says that there is no known cure for Dropsy, and once they get the "pine cone scales" its pretty much over. Do you think I should euthanize him instead of making him suffer through it?

protocl

My betta has the bloated stomach, but not the pine cone scales.
From what I read, no cure for betta dropsy. :(

dkpate

That is a gigantic belly, and it looks to be more than bloating. Is he in a tank by himself? Try the peas as suggested, and don't feed anything else for a week. Bettas can go up to a month without food, so he's fine for a week.
It could also be a tumor. :(
When my d. gourami had dropsy, his entire body was bloated, not just the belly.

Consecration

I gave him a thawed skinless pea and he gobbled it right up. He is in a tank by himself. Ive noticed that the swelling is actually starting to look bulgy in some areas. how can you tell if its a tumor, or bloating? his belly isn't round, his left side is more protruding from his body, and the coloring is different there as well. its a pinkish color.

F.Banks

There was a gal on another forum that was instructed to to do the salt baths with both salts
4 times a day up to 30 minutes each if tolerated that long. Also to treat with an internal
bacterial med which she did.

For feeding it was suggested pea and live brine shrimp only.

Amazingly he pulled through! ----Good luck with yours!

Consecration

I have decided to put the little guy to sleep today. Hes just getting worse, and his scales are sticking out which means his kidneys are failing him. I don't want him suffering anymore. Thank you guys for all your help. its definitely been a learning experience.

Consecration

No, I still have my white and gold halfmoon betta. He sits on my desk here, love him to pieces! The one I put to sleep was a little red crowntail betta. nothing fancy but I still liked him. I just finished cleaning out his bowl and am debating on what to do with it :(

dkpate

:( I also have a red VT, he's probably my favorite feisty little guy. The white one is beautiful though! Did you special order him?

Maybe you could get a little community of shrimps for the bowl?

Consecration

I found him at Petco. They were just unpacking the latest shipment of betas and as soon as he hit the shelf, I scooped him up and told him he was coming home with me! :)

I have been trying to find a female for him but I can't find one similar to his coloring locally. I cant really afford the pricey ones off of aqua bid. I am still in search of a potential "girlfriend" for him :)

dkpate

I don't blame you! He's beautiful! I got a copper HM from Petco, and he's pretty too. I snatched him up even though he was $14, I just HAD to have him!