Best Sponge Filter?

Madness

Staff member
Thats a Hydro sponge, Kensfish.com sells them and the prices are fairly cheap.

I use them also, even in my large tanks with sumps, I use a power head on them.

A

Anonymous

Madness said:
Why a power head? Or why use them?
Just wondering why you would need to use them unless the current filtration system wasn't sufficient? I too use a sump system & never fathumed adding additional filtration. So I was just curious if your sump, flow for your particular tank is inadequate or if there is an added benefit?

A

Anonymous

bassetman said:
They are great for fry tanks. I graft them onto the intake of all my aqua clear filters.
This is an interesting idea. I too use AquaClear filters. How would you fit this together?

bassetman

I just heat the riser tube from the sponge with a heat gun and push it on to the pickup tube from the aqua clear . The sponge in the aqua clear stays clean and I do not suck up all my fry. The "Pro" ati filter works longest but the standard sponges do no plug in a couple weeks.

Madness

Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
Madness said:
Why a power head? Or why use them?
Just wondering why you would need to use them unless the current filtration system wasn't sufficient? I too use a sump system & never fathumed adding additional filtration. So I was just curious if your sump, flow for your particular tank is inadequate or if there is an added benefit?
Its all about extra filtration, you can never have to much. For my wet/dry to work at its max efficiency the flow needs to be 1200gph or less(thats on my 300)any thing over that and you blow water through the filter at a rate that loses its efficiency. I use the the sponge filters w/power head to do several things, increase current flow closer to the substrate, extra filtration to remove all loose particles floating around, not to mention it causes the poo to flow to the sponge filter and gather at its base for easier clean up.

plaamoo

bassetman said:
I just heat the riser tube from the sponge with a heat gun and push it on to the pickup tube from the aqua clear . The sponge in the aqua clear stays clean and I do not suck up all my fry. The "Pro" ati filter works longest but the standard sponges do no plug in a couple weeks.
I use pre-filter sponges on all of my intakes. Cory should be well acquainted with this tactic as I first got the idea from Jim at Conway several years ago. Fusing them to the tube defeats some of the positives IMO. They catch much of the goop that would otherwise end up inside the filter. That includes food. The fish figure this out quickly and it ends up acting as a feeding station. Having that food eaten and not passed into the filter saves overworking the good bacteria in your filter. I don't have to clean my filters nearly as often, instead I just remove and rinse the pre-filters in tank water with each water change.

A

Anonymous

bassetman said:
Nice. Something to think about, thanks!

Madness said:
Its all about extra filtration, you can never have to much.  For my wet/dry to work at its max efficiency the flow needs to be 1200gph or less(thats on my 300)any thing over that and you blow water through the filter at a rate that loses its efficiency. I use the the sponge filters w/power head to do several things, increase current flow closer to the substrate, extra filtration to remove all loose particles floating around, not to mention it causes the poo to flow to the sponge filter and gather at its base for easier clean up.  
I've spent a great deal of time experimenting with directing flow for optimum performance & water quality. When my long tank wasn't planted it was much easier. Now I have mini power power heads throughout the tank behind plants and wood. The more stuff that's in the tank the trickier it is to maintain a good flow. You have to keep water moving everywhere or those spots become "dead zones" where things can get funky!

Thanks for sharing madness, this gives me an idea for pulling water up from a dead zone a under large hollow log in my tank. Sponge filter, 2' tube under and behind the log, power head above and behind a big fern. Cool!