Best Fish Flakes - Your pick?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I'm almost out of the "got at Fred Meyer" Tetra-Min (or something) fish flakes and I want to up my flake game. I feed bloodworms (which is everyone's favorite) and I send in Repashy from time to time, even though all three tank inhabitants still seem reluctant to embrace it.

What flakes do you prefer?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Omega One Super Color!! Colors up them fishies reeeeeaaaalll quick!

Thanks! I may just have to go buy some of that today. I hope Cory has it. I'm headed down there to get some more greenery for the 55.

No one else here has a preference? Oh come now. We're all opinionated about our fish stuff..... I don't have enough plecos to open up a can of green beans, however.

FishBeast

Thanks! I may just have to go buy some of that today. I hope Cory has it. I'm headed down there to get some more greenery for the 55.

No one else here has a preference? Oh come now. We're all opinionated about our fish stuff..... I don't have enough plecos to open up a can of green beans, however.
I have to check out the Co-op soon! Your pea puffers will also love that sweet Hikari frozen bloodworms!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I didn't make it down there yesterday...but that just means I'll have to get down there today. :)

@FishBeast - got PLENTY of those sweet Hikari frozen bloodworms!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
A good quality flake is Zoo Med Spirulina 20. The '20' is 20% Spirulina. It is a high quality flake.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Thanks @DMD123

I ended up with Robert's suggestion at the Aquarium Co-op. He says he uses it - good enough for me. It's Cobalt Aquatics Premium Flakes. There was a Spirulina variety of this same food for sale also.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I wanted to add to this thread that the Aquarium Co-Ops FRY FOOD in the squeeze bottle is amazing. Even the adults in the Endler tank get all whackadoodle when they see the bottle come out. YUM YUM.

@DMD123 - what do you use the Spirulina variety of food for? Does everybody get it or is it just an alternative food to mix things up?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Well, for spirulina flakes, I like the Aquatic Foods product, which you can buy on Amazon. I've been really frustrated over the last year or so because every time I order spirulina flakes from OSI or Ken's I have received a bag full of small crumbs, not flakes (I also don't like the fact that OSI spirulina colors the water). The AF spirulina is mostly nice big flakes, which Tropheus definitely like better than crumbs, and it's less expensive than either OSI or Ken's. I also like Cobalt Cichlid Flakes for my featherfins, but it's a bit pricey.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to add to this thread that the Aquarium Co-Ops FRY FOOD in the squeeze bottle is amazing. Even the adults in the Endler tank get all whackadoodle when they see the bottle come out. YUM YUM.

@DMD123 - what do you use the Spirulina variety of food for? Does everybody get it or is it just an alternative food to mix things up?
I will feed it to even my big porkchop, because the flakes are huge. I dont use it much any more but it is still one of the better flakes out there.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
that's two votes for Aquafoods right here in this thread! I'll have to check them out.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I've had very good success with Seachem's NutriDiet Chlorella Flakes w/probiotics. I haven't found a fish in our fishroom that won't eat them.

I gotta write that down..... I will never remember that name! It's a long one. I like the idea of probiotics too. I give those to the bulldogs.