Bamboo log/cave for plecos

Betty

Staff member
We've got a lot of bamboo growing in the backyard, so I decided to try a segment of it in my pleco tank to see how it would work.  I soaked it for four days before adding it to the tank.  It was floating at first, but by the third day, it sunk. There was also a slimy white coating that formed on the inside and I removed it before it went into the tank.  The shrimp probably would have eaten the stuff, but I didn't want to take any chances.

This young male seems to have claimed it already.
051_zps7d5ec6b4.jpg

052_zps938061b9.jpg

054_zps1fdc6cb6.jpg

055_zpsafca0efa.jpg

056_zpsd4cb2dae.jpg

Betty

Staff member
Probably big enough for young beginners, since mine use cichlid stones that are smaller in length than they are.  :roll:  I don't think the larger adults can fit in there.  I have some bigger timber bamboo growing, but it's too new to cut down yet.  I need to look around and see what other sizes I have.

Betty

Staff member
I wouldn't charge you, Shorty. I have to thin them out once in a while anyway. I'll let you know if I have any bigger pieces. Most of the large timber stalks are new growth and won't be ready to cut down.

Betty

Staff member
No goats here, but our basset hound usually takes care of new growth. I had to put some fencing around the new shoots to keep her from getting them all this year. She doesn't bother the regular size bamboo if there is timber bamboo available.

Betty

Staff member
My basset hound likes to chew and eat it!

A couple of father and son pictures.  :D 

003_zps560620e9.jpg

002_zpsb9fd164a.jpg

All of the other adult males have their cichlid stones, like this one.

004_zps6b4faea1.jpg

Betty

Staff member
I did not get mine from Ken's, but he does sell them and I can't remember where I got this one.  :oops:

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Dannnnnnng that's the style I really want but can't find them any where. :( I figured you didn't get it from ken's :)

Betty

Staff member
I have three of them, but they are all occupied.  My leopard frog plecos each have one.

I wouldn't swear to it, but I think I got them at Walmart several years ago.  That's where I bought all of my cichlid-type stones. They had the small ones and the big ones as well. They aren't the same brand that you buy online and they were a lot cheaper, so I couldn't pass them up. When I went back later to get more, they had stopped carrying them.  :(