ballast problem with purple heart blood parrot

joebyrd6499

my purple heart blood parrot wich has a hard time swimming to begin with got stuck two nights ago under some deco in my tank i rescued him but i think damage has been done im here asking if anyone knows anything else i can do he cannot swimm or keep his buoyancy and he keeps falling on his side or ending upside down he is breathing but real shallow anything that anyone know that might help would be awesome but i have excepted he prolly not gonna make it

Madness

Staff member
so I'm confused what does a ballast have to do with your fish not doing well?

Betty

Staff member
Ballast like balance and stability? Damage to the swim bladder? I don't have any experience with that, but for a start, I'd make sure to keep the water clean and do whatever you can to make things stress free for the fish, like making sure other fish aren't harassing it.

CrazedAce

Buoyancy is the word you're looking for. And I expect that your fish has an infection of some kind. Move it to a quarantine tank and dose with melafix/primafix and add salt (if those fish can handle it).

Anthraxx

blood parrots are notorious for issues with genetics. ive read (actually in the last two issues of TFH) that these guys can have all sorts of issues with buoyancy. i hate to say it but this is precisely why anytime im in a big box pet store i tell people to just stay away from them all together. nothing about them is natural or correct. its just a giant mess of genetics and whatever sticks to the wall is what they go with. i am also curious as to how he is a purple heart blood parrot?.. what exactly makes him a purple heart recipient? many of these fish are tattooed at a very young age and most do not survive very long. im sry to burst your bubble but theres plenty of better fish to go with rather then support those who propagate these overpriced Frankenstein fish

A

Anonymous

Anthraxx said:
blood parrots are notorious for issues with genetics. ive read (actually in the last two issues of TFH) that these guys can have all sorts of issues with buoyancy. i hate to say it but this is precisely why anytime im in a big box pet store i tell people to just stay away from them all together. nothing about them is natural or correct. its just a giant mess of genetics and whatever sticks to the wall is what they go with. i am also curious as to how he is a purple heart blood parrot?.. what exactly makes him a purple heart recipient? many of these fish are tattooed at a very young age and most do not survive very long. im sry to burst your bubble but theres plenty of better fish to go with rather then support those who propagate these overpriced Frankenstein fish
BAM!

Clean water, a bit of aquarium salt. Pray!

Madness

Staff member
Anthraxx said:
Well said.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
joebyrd6499 said:
my purple heart blood parrot wich has a hard time swimming to begin with got stuck two nights ago under some deco in my tank i rescued him but i think damage has been done im here asking if anyone knows anything else i can do he cannot swimm or keep his buoyancy and he keeps falling on his side or ending upside down he is breathing but real shallow anything that anyone know that might help would be awesome but i have excepted he prolly not gonna make it
How is it doing? I hope it's better. If not, here is a link to fixing swim bladder issues in goldfish (I know not the same fish, but the steps are the same). Good luck.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Swimbladder-Disease-in-Goldfish

Betty

Staff member
i am also curious as to how he is a purple heart blood parrot?.. what exactly makes him a purple heart recipient?
Aren't "heart" blood parrots the ones they cut the tails off of? If so, I'd give him a purple heart!

I hope he's doing better this morning.

A

Anonymous

Betty said:
i am also curious as to how he is a purple heart blood parrot?.. what exactly makes him a purple heart recipient?
Aren't "heart" blood parrots the ones they cut the tails off of? If so, I'd give him a purple heart!

I hope he's doing better this morning.
WT*? Seriously?