Automotive Advice/Mechanic Recommendations sought:

Ali

Hey all, there seem to be a lot of folks on here with car experience. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

My 1995 Ford Ranger (2.3L 4 cylinder, manual, 165k miles) has had miscellaneous electrical issues throughout the last couple years. Dash lights haven't worked in ages (indicator light are just fine), it died in the middle of a busy intersection with a short about a year back, and a few months ago I was having issues with the starter. This most recent death is also likely electrical in nature.

I am absolutely useless when it comes to car repair so am unable to solve this on my own (man I wish I took auto shop in high school!) Based on advice from people who know a lot more than me, it looks like I am looking at something pretty significant like a wiring harness replacement. And of course this comes at a very financially tough time, and being without a car for over a month has really made going to work quite a bit harder.

Sooooo. I need a repair shop. A good one, and not terribly expensive, that is not going to try to sell me on unnecessary stuff I don't need (once had a shop tell me my car required 19,000 worth of work.) Since I will need to pay for a tow being as close to my home in N Seattle as possible is really important. But if you can recommend somebody who farts rainbows and works cheap I'd go a bit further out. I'm willing to pay for a diagnostic work up in hopes it is something a bit more minor. But once I pay to get it towed to a place I want to be able to drive it out of there.

Betty

Staff member
Hey Ali, if you were way down here, I could recommend a place. I just wanted to let you know I feel your pain. I drive a '98 Explorer that I bought brand new. It has 219,000 miles on it today and mechanically, has given me few problems, but it's had electrical issues since the very beginning. I used to take it back to Ford to get them to fix it, but they could never get it right, so I've given up and learned to live with them. No safety issues so far, but weird things like the wipers deciding what speed they want to run, back wiper doesn't usually work, but when it does, the rear passenger windows won't open, some of the dash lights don't work or come on intermittently, radio and clock lights never come on any more, hot air out of the ac, etc.

I keep saying I need to get a new vehicle, but I love my quirky Explorer. One of these days, though.

I hope you're able to find a a good and trustworthy place to take yours.

Madness

Staff member
My very good friend owns his own shop in downtown Puyallup. If you want to make the trek down. Ill give you his info.