ATTN:: suport your local fish store!!!

Anthraxx

i go to kevin if im looking for fish. as for everything else 20$ in gas plus time and then mark up i just cant do for most food and such. still love the store and its the only place i go for stock :)

A

Anonymous

Betty, that shop on pacific right? I went there when I was a sophmore in high school. That was 12 years ago. So it can't have been closed for 20 years. Hey, did anyone ever go to snubbers, in downtown tacoma? Tiny little shop, it was kinda call before you go so that he would be there, like by appointment only. He bred discus and angels.

Betty

Staff member
Fish n vw, yes it was on Pacific. I didn't think it had been 20 years. It's too bad it's gone. It was kind of scary, but I liked going in to look around.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Betty said:
DMD has it really been over 20 years that Tropical Fish Imports has been closed? :shock: I remember going to that store a few times and I haven't been living here that long. Is it that big place that was on a corner? It was big, dark and really humid inside?
Yep thats the one on the corner. It had to have closed in the early 90's. I remember buying my last tank from them (38g) shortly before my 20+ year absence from the hobby. Nothing has been in the building since. It was humid in there, they also had a roof leak that let a lot of water into the building at times.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking about it, the Tropical Fish Imports could have closed later in the 90's than what I remember but it has been over 12yrs for sure VW.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The huge piranha tank in the front was also pretty cool!

A

Anonymous

Strange... we most be talking about diffrent places. The one on pacific and that when you walked through the door if you walked to the left, they had that room with all of the used tanks for sale, and it had that big 300 with the biggest aro ever? I could have sworn I went there when I was a sophmore. Guess it might have been middle school. I don't know.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The TFI store had the register facing the front doors as you walked in and the had two large show tanks to the left of the desk. One had RBP and the other an Aro. The tanks were they kept fish for sale were in the back right hand corner of the store. The layout was very similar to Aquarium Paradise.

A

Anonymous

Yeah that place betty. I have been in there a few times and I dident move to tacoma untill I was 14. So It was ope within the last 15 years.

A

Anonymous

K, made some calls. Tropical fish imports was ran by a guy named aaron, a close friend of mine, josh, helped to close the shop down when it closed about 7 years ago. He's not sure exactly but said it was about the same time his oldest son was born who is now 7. D, your losin it bro.

Ratlova30

fish_n_vw said:
Oh and ratlova, I am not targeting you. The first few lines were ment for you and then my fingers begin to vomit emotion. So please do not take this personally.

Thanks for making some good conversation everyone.
No offense taken, I figured what I wrote would stir up some emotion. Personally between you and me... I have never seen a finger vomit emotion before :vomit: :scratch: Maybe you should have that looked at...

Certainly my financial situation isn't the same as the next person and I'm all in for supporting LFS if you've got the money to do it and it doesn't hinder on other responsibilities. For instance, when I'm shopping for needed fishy supplies, if I can save save $10-15 at a box store that I couldn't otherwise have saved at an LFS then that means that $10 can go towards feeding my sponsor family or to buy a bag of cat food for the hoard of feral cats that call my front yard home. If there was an LFS near me that sold healthy fish I probably would spend a little more for fish only but with everything non breathing, just can't afford it.

Betty

Staff member
fish_n_vw said:
K, made some calls. Tropical fish imports was ran by a guy named aaron, a close friend of mine, josh, helped to close the shop down when it closed about 7 years ago. He's not sure exactly but said it was about the same time his oldest son was born who is now 7. D, your losin it bro.
Wow. Good work! I thought I had been in there since I moved here about 10 years ago. But could have been mixing it up with when I lived in Montana and visited my parents here. :spoton:

A

Anonymous

Ratlova I just looked at where you live, and you are right, there's not any good shops around that area. Maybe inext time you have a few bucks and have an ich for some new fish, you can tag along up to apfp with me. It wouldent bother me and I go up there about 2 times a month.

A

Anonymous

Betty, thanks, it just took a few calls, but I was sure I had been there with my brother inlaw, and I have only been married 10 years. So it was just a matter of rembering the guys name that used to work there, then jumping on face book, finding a mutual friend that I had the phone number of and getting his number from him... hope that made sence... oh btw facebook is the devil.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
fish_n_vw said:
Sure seems longer than 7 years ago. I have been working at my current job now for 11 years and I thought it was closed before I started here.... But us old people forget easily. What were we talking about? :scratch:

Betty

Staff member
Is it possible that it closed for a while and reopened under a new owner? We could all be remembering correctly then. :p

pbmax

I'd love to vote with my wallet and support the mom 'n pop stores, but the ones within easy driving distance just don't carry what I'm interested in buying. Aquarium Paradise is closest to me, and while I trade some of my extra live stock to them from time to time, it's tough to come up with something to buy there.

I've never been to APFP; I've been meaning to go, but that's a pretty decent time and gas commitment from Olympia.

I really don't like shopping at Petstupid or Petslow - they rarely have what I want either (tanks themselves are the exception). And if they do have it, it's grossly over-priced. And the live stock? 9 of 11 Zebra danios from Petstupid were dead inside a week and my tanks weren't at fault. The 2 survivors went on to breed dozens of babies for me in that tank. How do you stress a zebra danio to death???

I liked Wild World in Oly and went there fairly regularly - I got my panda corys and longfin zebras there and they were (and still are) healthy and happy. I also got a fantastic species of plant there that I keep in all my tanks now. I tried to get them to order some Pygmy Corys for me a while back, but they never did and didn't call me or anything when the frozen food I had them buy for me came in. I didn't go as much after that... and now they're gone :(

So I end up buying online from Wet Spot in Portland, hobbyists on Aquabid, Ken's fish, Foster and Smith, etc.

It's a catch-22 really, and it's a sad state of affairs. I need to make a bigger effort to buy local, for sure. It would be nice if it were easy :|

A

Anonymous

Yeah, that's really understandable. But dude, go to apfp, it worth the drive. If you don't want to go one your own, I go up every couple weeks and can let you know when I next plan on heading up, then you only have to drive to tacoma. And I don't mind having a tag along. As long as you don't mind hangin there for a few hours. I always have to hang with my buddy kevin for a bit.