Astrnotus Crassipinnis update

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looking good! A few weeks back I went to the Wet Spot and got to see their tank full of these and they were very impressive in their patterning. I notice yours is showing almost black like my Bumblebee does. I really like the vertical bar pattern on these compared to mine. Thanks for the update!

bassetman

He turns black the second you pic up a camera. Been trying for a couple weeks to get him in his stripes mood. As you walk up he turns before your eyes.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
How is his personality? Mine is pretty aggressive and has bit me twice now. He also glass bangs. I was kind of surprised because he has attitude.

bassetman

Super puppy friendly. Begs a lot, lightly nibbles fingers. Always at the glass watching me watching him watching me.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The ability of the fish to change color in a heartbeat amazes me. The tank at the Wet Spot had dozens of these guys all sporting the cool vertical stripes. If I had not got my Bumblebee already I would have ended up bring one home.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Nice markings..... For an Oscar ( just kidding, you know I enjoy the Oscar)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
His growth rate suggests he will get big. Have not seen anything out there in picture proof that these fish only stay around 10" like many forums are suggesting. Very little has been documented about them. Really appreciate the pictures! He is looking good.

bassetman

My gut feeling is they get about the same size as "regular" oscars. Should have a good idea by this time next year. Maybe we should start a pool to see who can guess the size.

How is the bumble doing?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
bassetman said:
My gut feeling is they get about the same size as "regular" oscars. Should have a good idea by this time next year. Maybe we should start a pool to see who can guess the size.

How is the bumble doing?

The Bumblebee is doing good. Mellowed quite a bit and does not bite me anymore. Very outgoing and growing like a weed. Hope he will be able to live out life in the 72g bow and not outgrow it!

bassetman

Great, be interesting to compare them about springtime.

Morgan, no need to envy. Standard oscars, even nice quality ones are quite inexpensive. The crass was 25 bucks , still not too much. Push the couch into the yard to make room for another tank and go for it. ;)

MorganEA

bassetman said:
Morgan, no need to envy. Standard oscars, even nice quality ones are quite inexpensive. The crass was 25 bucks , still not too much. Push the couch into the yard to make room for another tank and go for it. ;)
Don't tempt me!!