Assembling your own CO2

Anybody here assemble their own CO2 before?

I bought a very old "new" Victor Pro Two Stage VTS 253A off ebay. It apparently served as an unused back-up in a North Carolina hospital for years. Then I bought a "post body" and "nut an nipple" from http://cga320.com/, a cheapo reactor and bubble counter, and a non-cheapo check valve. The stuff is all arriving and I may get to assemble it this weekend.

Anybody in Seattle or the east side (I'm in Kirkland) know of a good place to get these serviced (if needed) and CO2 refilled? I don't have a tank yet because I've heard that some places only do tank swaps -- no sense in buying a shiny new tank.

tazeat

Correct on all counts... Airgas will do exchanges. Regen Seattle does exchanges of 20lb tanks. Central welding does tanks.

Get a good needle valve (I've had good luck with the fabco, there are others) and a solenoid (burkerts were popular, I found some cheaper ones I haven't tried yet) to shut it off then its just a couple fittings, usually all 1/4 or 1/8 npt

A

Anonymous

Airgas in Woodinville can send out repairs on the regulator if the seals, diaphragm, and gauges need repair. The repairs cost about $60 on regular single stage regulators. This does not include silnoids and needle valves.

Also, at this location - 1st time purchases of cylinders the contents are free.

Nick_87

Seattle_Aquarist said:
Hi MattArmstrong,

I did not see a needle valve mentioned on you list?

I believe his "post body kit" includes solenoid and needle valve.

As far as your co2 tank, to swap a tank you will need to own your own tank to swap with a full one. Now the tank that your trade in to swap does not need to even have good certified date and expired tanks are much cheaper to buy so do like I did and find an expired tank on eBay for half the price of a new shinny one and trade it in for a full certified for no extra cost. Good luck, putting togeather regulator systems is fun. I am putting togeather my 3rd one now and each one gets easier and better.

jrygel

If you want to fill your own tank, Central Welding does it. There are locations all over the area. I went in right as they opened at 8:00, and I was out with a full tank within 10 minutes.

-Justin

Thanks for all the tips everybody, especially for info on the CO2 filling options.

Look what came today. No turning back now:

LA9ZtyS.jpg

It was shipped wrapped in that bed pad. Proof of its hospital origins. :D

I think I've got most every part now. Fabco needle, Clippard solenoid, and a bunch of fittings (the cga320.com post body kit saved me a lot of chasing down random parts). Still need teflon tape, and a tank.

Thing is heavy and a bit intimidating. This is my second CO2 setup, so I'm ready for it. I built my first 15 years ago out of a 2 liter bottle, a tube, and a packet of yeast.

A

Anonymous

That's a older Victor. Looks all brass. It's missing the nut and nipple to screw onto the tank. Do you have one?

fishNAbowl said:
That's a older Victor. Looks all brass. It's missing the nut and nipple to screw onto the tank. Do you have one?

Yep, got it assembled this past weekend. It has sat with the solenoid unplugged for 3 days and hasn't lost pressure.

Not happy with my "post post body", i.e. the check valve, bubble counter, reactor. I bought cheapo plastic stuff and now I'm concerned that any break could siphon the tank onto the floor. I might DIY something up out of PVC.

But, here it sits next to the tank. Changes in the tank are on hiatus until I figure out why the fish are getting sick one by one. I don't need any more variables in play, so this is on hold.

TvtB30W.jpg

A

Anonymous

Looks good!! Did you come into an Airgas store for the tank, or find a deal on-line?

A

Anonymous

MattArmstrong said:
Airgas in woodinville.
Well, I missed the opportunity to meet you. I run the warehouse that's connected to the store and help out up front from time to time.

Hopefully another time! I think I saw your post on the the GSAS airstone list -- effective advertisement! Price has gone up: $95 to buy a full 5 lb tank. I probably could have sniped one off craigslist or ebay for cheap, but y'know, convenience is worth it sometimes.

A

Anonymous

$85+ tax, sounds bout right. One thing that is cool is since people use these smaller cylinders for mostly beer and beverage applications Airgas tests for purity (Food grade). I don't think it's an industry standard to do so yet. So there is an added security in knowing the gas is 99.8% pure. What this means if anyone ever had a tank hooked up to something and if anything drew back into the tank testing would catch it. This is rare but can happen.

That's good to know. I may end up re-filling at the homebrew supply store in Kirkland. It is $5 more, but also open on the weekend. Their price for a used 5lb tank was $130 without CO2, which is why I took a lunch hour and went up to Airgas.