Aqueon QuietFlow vs. AquaClear

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I would like to hear thoughts on these two HOB filters. Which do you like and why?

I have been using the AC110 but am interested in the QuietFlow 55/75 due to price.

pbmax

The Aqueon hobs are self-priming and quieter, as the name suggests.  But the media arrangement sucks when compared with AC and I don't think they have output flow adjustment like the ACs do.

Because the Aqueon has its motor in the water it won't overheat if it clogs, which is nice.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have two AC110's and I like them for the ease of cleaning and how much debris they can pick up. Both of these were to be 'back up' filters for emergencies and what not but have now become primary filters in use. All my extra equipment is now in use, so Im looking at some cheaper alternatives to have spares in case I need them. A spare AC110 would be nice but a $75 filter collecting dust is something I cant do right now, thus the look at the 55/75's which can be had for about $30.

pbmax

I found my aqueon hob (it was a little one as I only have little tanks) to be more reliable and lower maintenance than my aquaclears. And they really are a lot quieter, I think. That said, the media isn't anywhere near as DIY-friendly as the aquaclears. There's no sponge, so you either have to cut one to fit in the odd-shaped media holder, or use floss cut to shape. There isn't any chamber for bio rings or anything like that, if memory serves. The plastic cartridge frame is kind of shaped for more BB growth, kind of.

If you can get past the unfriendly media cartridge approach then it's definitely worth $30, in my opinion.

MRTom

From a filtration basics perspective, I find the AC filters are superior to the QF filters. You want your water to get through a significant amount of surface on the media for mechanical filtration, and you want your water to flow slowly through as much media as possible for chemical/biological filtration to happen.

In the AC, this happens because the water is flowing vertically up the media canister through the different media before leaving the filter. Obviously water does leak around edges of the media holder and skips some of the media... but throw in some java moss through the filter and you'll see it disperse relatively evenly through the bottom of the media.

In my short experience with the QF filters, the water flows horizontally from back to front, through a thin "cartridge" that has a lot of surface area for mechanical filtration, but very little depth for chemical/biological filtration. My other qualm with these is that water flow seems to concentrate around the height of the water level. Again, throw some java moss and see the pattern that emerges. (a small oval around the height of the outflow.) That means that not all that surface area is really being used.

QF media is thin:
download

All that said, the real reason I switched from QF to AC is that I kept breaking the QF filter intakes while trying to cover them with tight fitting foam, and AC replacement parts were more readily available. (Blame it on my brute strength!) Then again, if I was looking for a temporary backup filter, the QF would do just fine (I keep one in the closet for that purpose). I do love the self priming aspect of the QF and wish the AC did something similar. I also find their impeller setup to be more reliable than the AC (less clogging), probably because of how it is laid out in the intake.

pbmax

MrTom's assessment is accurate. :plus1:

Even with the mod, you're not getting the filtration of an AC.

We need to breed the AQs with the ACs - that would be a nice filter. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I will just have to keep my eyes peeled for a good AC110 sale. They used to be found for about $50 but its been awhile since Ive seem them that cheap.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but I recently (2 months ago) bought a cascade 300 hang on the back for one of my 55g. It was 65 dollars, rated up to 100 gallons and I was able to not only replace my broken ac75, but also take off my other aqueon hob that I had running..... I have been thoroughly happy with it being so quiet yet so powerful! I know that they range from 20g up to 100g hob sizes and for the money, an awesome deal ( and that's buying it from aquarium paradise) I am almost positive you could get them cheaper at Amazon.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
No wrench in plans, just looking for options. $38 on Amazon with free shipping for the Cascade.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I used to run the Cascade 1000 and 1500 canisters and liked them a lot. Had not really considered their HOB's.

pbmax

The cascade HOBs look a lot like the aqueons as far as media goes and like the ACs as far as motor and intake setup goes (motor outside on the back, variable flow). Worst of both worlds??? :|

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I found the media to be like all other hob except the ac. It does come with a little plastic insert that is supposed to offer a biological filter on top of the mechanical..... I also think that the flow rate is far more powerful than the aqueon.

It's completely up to you on what you choose, but my choices would be either the ac or the cascade.... I know they both have their motors outside of the tank ( but that's what I prefer as I'm not super adventurous when it comes to the new filters). But in my brief review, besides the differing media, I feel like the ac110 cycles the same amount as the cascade 300 and they are about the same size so you might be able to even use the ac media of that's what you prefer ( being as how the cascade is cheaper)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Though I do wish the cascade came with a longer intake tube.....

Betty

Staff member
I looked back through my orders and saw that the first AquaClear 500/110 I bought was $34.99.  :shock:  That was in 2005.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im going to keep my eyes open for deals, I have seen the ac110 pretty recent for like $58. I want to go ahead and use one type of filter and accessories to make my life easier.

iandraco

i love my ACs. they're customizable like a canister and you don't have to constantly be buying replacement cartrages. i've never tried the aqueons.

cichlid-gal

DMD123 said:
I have two AC110's and I like them for the ease of cleaning and how much debris they can pick up. Both of these were to be 'back up' filters for emergencies and what not but have now become primary filters in use. All my extra equipment is now in use, so Im looking at some cheaper alternatives to have spares in case I need them. A spare AC110 would be nice but a $75 filter collecting dust is something I cant do right now, thus the look at the 55/75's which can be had for about $30.
I have switched all my HOB's to Aquaclears and have them running on almost every tank I have.  Part of my reasons were for ease of repair if needed.  And with these filters maintenance is minimal and so are failures.  I have never had any trouble with the plastic housing on my units.  I have had to replace some impellers (on the 50's).  And so far that is about it.

What I have done is put together a little "fixer" package.  Because I have different sized of AC flilters (ranging from AC50-AC110) I have two spare motor parts as the one spare will work for the AC20/30/50/70 and the other will work for the AC110.  I also have impellers for 50's, 70's, and 110's in stock.  I have an impeller cover for the 50, 70, and 110 and I have extra seal rings.  I have extra intakes (most of those came with the units and I just didn't need them all).  In all, I have probably spent a little over what one (1) new AC110 would have cost me for repair parts for any breakdown I might have with them.  I feel its worth it.  I don't have stores close by and paying PETCO prices is a killer as is fast shipping.

I highly recommend these filters for HOB's.  And as Tom shared, you can't beat their actual "filter" performance on your tank.