Aquarium Master 300 watt heater

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Been looking for a new heater that has a smaller footprint and easy to set. Trying out the Aquarium Masters 300 watt. Digital readout looks pretty cool and would be a nice thing for the quick glace to make sure the temp is where it should be. Heater rated for up to 90 gallon tank. Plan is to try it in the 90 gallon Trimac tank.
IMG_20201012_093524420.jpg

The heater is very compact at about 11 1/2 inches. Also suction cups can make it to be mounted on front of unit if you needed heater to face forward and be able to read the display still. Very cool idea.
IMG_20201012_093818453.jpg

Has an inline adjustment so no hand in the water and a wireless remote too.
IMG_20201012_094037963.jpg

The heater can be used horizontal with this note of not being used full horizontal.
IMG_20201012_094054214.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a comparison to the 250 watt Eheim that was in the tank
IMG_20201012_112137155.jpg Used the remote to set the temp
IMG_20201012_112502239.jpg
The heater in the tank. Has two readings, the actual tank temp and what it is set at. The current reading are off a bit because I just did a water change.
IMG_20201012_113007031.jpg
Will update as time goes on to be able to review its dependability and durability.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure of the durability of the heater at this point but I like the size and ease of use so I bought one more. Just waiting on delivery from Kens.

Madness

Staff member
I am not sure of the durability of the heater at this point but I like the size and ease of use so I bought one more. Just waiting on delivery from Kens.
So what do you think? Im looking to possibly buy a few 100 watters

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Liking these a lot. Mine is holding temp well and easy to glance at and see temp. Pretty reasonable in price at Kens online.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got my second 300 watt and set it up on my second 90 gallon. Working great, super easy to set and seems to hold temp well. No problems so far.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not an accurate indication to go by. I have unit set at 81 and secondary internal thermometer reads about 76 or so. I would say about 5 degrees off. Still liking it a lot for its compact size and ease of set up.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have really taken a liking to these heaters. I had recently ordered a third 300 watt and replaced out a Fluval E series in my 65B. The Fluval always had problems keeping temp. I think the guard prevented the sensor from reading correctly. Anyway the new heaters have been working well and I ordered a fourth one for my bowfront, this one will be a 200 watt unit.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wanted to update some things on the heater. The 300 watt in the 65B seems to be perfect. 80 degrees seems to be an accurate reading on the heater and thermometer whereas in a 90 gallon it reads 82 to be about 79 degrees. I wish there was a way to calibrate this but its not that big of a deal.

The suction cups dont hold up. Over time they come off. The cupping starts to go flat and they fall off. I had some old Aqueon cups from a heater that went bad so I replaced one with these. I also had some Fluval suction cups that Im experimenting with on another.

Im waiting on a 200 watt for my 46g bowfront. It should be in on Saturday.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got my 200 watt unit in for my 46g bowfront tank. I bought it based on wattage being correct for the size of the tank but didnt look at the size. It is identical in size to the 300 watt model just less watts.
IMG_20210123_135305150.jpg
Im going to try this with the Fluval suction cups. Fits okay but not great. Again weak part of the heater are their suction cups. I guess I could aways try the heated water trick on them to see if I could get new life into them. For now the fluval are what Im trying

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Where are you ordering g them from?

I am using both of the Hesters that came with the 75 I got from you ... they are currently set to 78° but tank temp is 72°.... not impressed with that brand so looking to get a 250 or 300 watt for my 75

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Those heaters were the Eheim thermocontrol series. They don’t seem like ‘hot’ heaters, but I liked them when I was using that type in the garage tanks. They were just huge heaters. I use the 250 watt Eheim thermocontrol along with a Fluval E series for my 300 and like the combination.

These ones from Aquarium Masters are from Ken’s. I have the 300 watt for my 90 gallon and the temp on the heater says 82 to achieve about 78/79 degrees. The 300 on the 65B says 80 and I think it is spot on. So I would go with the 300 watt for your 75 gallon. Not had the 200 watt in the 46 gallon long enough to tell real temp vs what heater shows.

I want to say the heaters are like $39 at Kens.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just placed an order for my 5th one of these Aquarium Master heaters. This one is for my 65B hairy puffer tank. Its going to replace a Fluval E Series.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Received my heater and installed it into the puffer tank.
IMG_20210324_193705853.jpg
Now I am running 5 of these heaters. They are just so easy to set and use. The displayed temp currently, and what you have it set at is just so convenient, just a glance and you know the tank is okay. Granted I still use in conjunction with an external thermometer but still nice. The heater guard also nice to protect fish that have a tendency to sit on and burn themselves on the heater. Only gripe still are the suction cups, they do better with the heater in the full vertical position but tend to come loose in a partial horizontal one. Otherwise still loving this heater.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The reason I have the old-fashioned Eheim Jager heaters in all my tanks is that I have a long history with them, and they have performed flawlessly for many years. So I've always resisted the temptation to try something new. I'll be interested to hear from your new heaters perform over time. :thumbsup

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The reason I have the old-fashioned Eheim Jager heaters in all my tanks is that I have a long history with them, and they have performed flawlessly for many years. So I've always resisted the temptation to try something new. I'll be interested to hear from your new heaters perform over time. :thumbsup
Thats the thing, the good old fashioned equipment isnt what it used to be anymore. Even the Eheim have lost the reputation of dependability that used to have. I have tried quite a few heaters over the years like Eheim thermocontrol e, SERA, Aqueon Pro, Fluval E Series, and now Aquarium Master and realistically Im thinking a good lifespan on them is about 4 years. They just dont build them to last. I know hard core hobbyist like us would pay more for a quality product but the manufacturers are not listening, they seem to be just trying to hit a price point. I really like the new Eheim thermocontrol e and have one running in the 300 with a Fluval e series but these are gigantic heaters! This is what prompted the change.

I would love to see someone like Aquaclear make a heater like the old RENA that was also essentially an intake tube. kind of a cool idea.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
None of my Eheim heaters are the new Thermocontrol e models; they are all the old-fashioned Eheim Jagers, and I've had some of these running for more than 10 years. In the same vein, I'm also a big fan of the Classic series Eheim canister filters; simple no-frills units that work just great. I have 9 of these in my fish room. I guess I'm just an old-fashioned guy! :whistle

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
None of my Eheim heaters are the new Thermocontrol e models; they are all the old-fashioned Eheim Jagers, and I've had some of these running for more than 10 years. In the same vein, I'm also a big fan of the Classic series Eheim canister filters; simple no-frills units that work just great. I have 9 of these in my fish room. I guess I'm just an old-fashioned guy! :whistle
00395736-5A9F-46BC-A4D8-AAE58C8B6EA4.jpeg
I have had the jaeger eheim since I was 16... it has been in continuous use minus a couple of moves where I had it unplugged for a few hours. I’m 42 now and actually got it second hand used with this tank and stand .... with that said, I find the new eheim to be crap so I went with the aquarium master and so far, so good. But I’ve only had it going for a couple of weeks

sir_keith

Legendary Member
View attachment 8650
I have had the jaeger eheim since I was 16... it has been in continuous use minus a couple of moves where I had it unplugged for a few hours. I’m 42 now and actually got it second hand used with this tank and stand .... with that said, I find the new eheim to be crap so I went with the aquarium master and so far, so good. But I’ve only had it going for a couple of weeks
That's awesome! I was trying to think if I had any equipment that old, and sure enough- I bought this 60" x 18" x 18" 75g show tank setup in 1987 from the Fish Store in Seattle. Still going strong in my living room today! The original wrought-iron stand was replaced by this nice cabinet stand from @FishBeast in 2018. :)

IMGP6805.jpg