Anyone have Red Rainbow Tropheus, or other Tropheus ?

Addictedtofish

Depending on where your friend lives Sandnunka and I both know a guy that has wide white stripe Duboisi's and Chimba's available for $5 to $7 each.

Addictedtofish

Wolf-Keeper1 said:
What kind of fish is that in your avatar? Sorry I can't help you otherwise I'm a sa/ca cichlid guy myself.
Thats a Frontosa Gibberosa (mpimbwe) from Lake Tanganyika. They males can grow 12 to 18" and females 10 to 12". Also a long lived fish average 25yrs.

sandnuka

I just let my kasanga's go today dude! so sorry... they were gorgeous, I traded seven of them for seven tropheus moliro.... I got a new group today, they are about 4 years old, and was said to be Wild caught, Im still checkin on that... so anyway, they are spawning as we speak, I should have some fry available in the next month and a half.... Tropheus Red Moliro "Firecracker" They look similar to kasanga, minus the yellow. :( my fav. part was the yellow.... but there still cool... I can upload some pics or a video of the adult group if you are interested.

I know another breeder that has Ikola juvies for sale too.... He posts on CL allot.... Your buddy could get in on our group order goin thru this week.... Reserve stock cichlids III has 2 different types of red rainbows, kasanga, and kambwimba available... very good price too.... check it out in the group buy section. or PM me for any question

sandnuka

Here is the tropheus available in the group buy we are puttin in this week... tell him to jump on board... shippin will be under 15 bucks.

ALL ARE F1
X 100 Tropheus brichardi Ujiji - Gold Head 2" $9.00
X 80 Tropheus brichardi Ulwile -Orange/Black Bands 2"+ $9.00
X 75 Tropheus duboisi Maswa 1.5" $8.50
15 Tropheus moorii Bulu Point - Double Red 1.25" $10.00
6 Tropheus moorii Chaitika - Blue Rainbow 1.25" $10.00
X 50 Tropheus moorii Chipimbi - Red Stripe 1.5" $10.00
10 Tropheus moorii Ilangi - Yellow 1"+ $16.00
10 Tropheus moorii Kachese - Copper Chest 1.25" $10.00
30 Tropheus moorii Kaiser - Ikola Yellow 1.25" $10.00
20 Tropheus moorii Katoto - Yellow Sunspot 1.5" $10.00
20 Tropheus moorii Kazuma Golden 1.25"+ $10.00
15 Tropheus moorii Kiriza-Yellow Band 1.25" $9.00
10 Tropheus moorii Lufubu - Purple Rainbow 1.25" $10.00
25 Tropheus moorii Mbita Yellow Sunspot 1.25" $10.00
18 Tropheus moorii Moliro Firecracker 1.25" $10.00
10 Tropheus moorii Mplungu - Orange Sunspot 1.25" $10.00
20 Tropheus moorii Murago - Speckle 1.25"+ $10.00
20 Tropheus moorii Musanga-NEW 1.25" $11.00
15 Tropheus moorii Muzi Cherry Rainbow-RARE 1.25" $12.00
15 Tropheus moorii Ndole Bay Red 1.25" $10.00
30 Tropheus moorii Red Rainbow Kambwimba 1.25"+ $15.00
25 Tropheus moorii Red Rainbow Kasanga 1.25"+ $14.00

me

Thanks, I will just link him to this thread so he can jump in. He's a good guy, he picked up some of my Mpimbwe a few weeks back and lives in the Portland area. He's also working on a forum the breeders on this site would likely benefit from.

Sandnuka, you got me sooooo tempted to get some Lufubu or Blue rainbows, or Duboisa, or just about any on the list !!! Man !!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf-keeper1, Addicted to fish was correct they are Mpimbwe Gibberosa, sometimes called Blue "Mpimbwe" Frontosa. They come from the lower east shore of Tanganyika. Very cool fish, even the Wild caughts (pictured) will eat right out of your hand, and are very inquisitive.

Addictedtofish

I ended up getting the Dominant male and 3 smaller ones from Spyral when he parted out that 180 of his. So right now I have 5 burundi's and 4 Mpimbwe's.

me

Cool, Just be sure to cull any fry if they breed with the Burundi. I'm working on making the Northwest the place to get pure Mpimbwe in the next 3 years when all the fry I sold start breeding. So the last thing we need is a hybrid that passes for a Mpimbwe dirtying up the genes. How big are those Mpimbwe now? I just sold the last 4 of that spawn to a local shop yesterday.

Addictedtofish

Damn I wish I knew you still had some that size still available, I think the dominant male is around 4" and the other 3 are around 3", the cool thing is my Burundi's I have are the same size as Mpimbwe's and I have a Dominant male the same size as the Mpimbwe dominant male. I have along time before they will old enough to breed, right now I have a 100 gal acrylic setup with both types of fronts and 3 full grown compressiceps,8 white calvus from the last RSC II, 2 leleupi's, 1 N. Brichardi, 2 Julichromis maileri, featherfin catfish and 1 adult bushynose pleco.

me

I had those thee and actually quite a few catching up to them. Now the largest fry I have are a couple 2 inch ones with a bunch of 1 inch ones. They grow pretty fast for me though, so if you want toms 2 Inch fish, unless I sell them all I will likely have some in a month or 2. At 2 " they will do fine with the 4" ones. Are any of your compressiceps gold heads? I have a lone Chaitka Gold head female I either need to find a mate for or sell.

Addictedtofish

The Compressiceps I have are at the 4" size and I think there all females, I got them from a LFS when they had a 50% sale around august. I was told they were traded in and the guy told the fish manager they were 2 to 2.5 yrs old and there all the same size. I think by the coloring and the looks there the ones on the Chilid-Forum that dont have a distribution point for them. The 8 white Calvus I have are from Tom also and so far it looks like I have 1 male and 7 females. I will keep in contact with you on a few more fronts.

me

Sounds good, I'm not familiar with the non CP comps, but I will cruise over to Cichlid-Forum and have a look.

me

I'd say about 2 1/2", maybe 3" Larry. I believe she spawned once right before her mate died about 3 months ago. I've had her nearly a year and a half, and she was about 1 1/4" when I got her, so she is mature.

larry.beck

Ah. :( Can't put her with my little babies then. I lost 1 of them and was thinking maybe I'd try to replace him/her (and introduce a new bloodline).

me

Larry, how big are the Moba, I assume that's which babies you're refering to. She may only be 2" I will measure he in the next couple days. I kept her with Mpimbwe fry that were 1 1/2 without issue.

Sorry to hear you lost one =/

larry.beck

Actually all the fish in my Tanganyika tank are small; the cyp's range from 2-3", the calvus and comps are right around 1", and the cypo's range from .75-1.5" (but already growing!?).

me

Yeah Frontosa will grow really fast under the right conditions, and I am guessing you had your water nice and clean for their arrival. I moved a 3 1/2 inch front to a new tank recently and within 2 week I swear it grew nearly an inch !! It's not constant but they do seem to have extreme spurts at times. Slow growing is a myth, though they will slow down as they approach 6 inches.

larry.beck

Wow! I suspect a few of these guys have hit a spurt then. It's not a huge amount of growth, but on a 1" fish even .25" really stands out.

Let me know when you happen to get a good measurement on that goldhead and if you decide to let her go I may take you up on that if she'll fit.