anyone got a DIY c02 system

whatthebloody

I just started co2 in my tank about 3 weeks ago and its been working really well for me. I got all my information on youtube and i found that the perfect mixture for me is 1 cup sugar, a teaspoon of yeast and a lil baking soda like half a teaspoon. As for my diffuser its kinda hard to explain but it basically goes right through a powerhead and i wrapped a sponge around the part that it shoots out and it turns it into really fine bubbles that dont even pop when they get to the top. I also noticed that one of my plants catches the small bubbles so they stay in the tank even longer. I'll take a picture as soon as i can and show you my setup.

A

Anonymous

Sounds almost the same as I have but I bought a ladder for the bubbles. And I use 2 cups of sugar and no baking soda.

aaronfeeney

you tube

just watched a video of a 12 y.o. kid instructing on how to build a co2 reactor,,, The kid did good

when i made my own homemade co2 reactor i used a plastic container i could close, poke a hole in the top siliconed or taped an airline tube in it. i would make a pack of jello with extra sugar added, let that firm up, then add your yeast with a little warm water. over the top, yeast based co2 rigs work, but they are inconsistant, they make most the co2 at the start of the reaction, and after that its not much at all. i found makeing it based with jellow i could reuse that part when the output got low, just pour the liquid off and the solids that remain can be reused with new yeast ( your drainng off the alcohol your making). when the room starts to smell like homemade wine its it to change out the liquid portion.

Gosu

ok im not possitive about this but when you mix vinegar and baking soda you make Co2, so couldnt you make a container to hold it and run a line straight from that to bubble Co2?

censeoflife

So I made one of these deals and the bubble wont travel deep enough down the tube to come out into the tank. Is it just leaking someplace? I sealed everything up of coarse, and can see 1 bubble per sec+ but it only makes it about 2" below the water line. I am thinking about re-building the whole contraption, but im not sure what I need to do better. Any input? Thanks!

knightrider213

when you make a diy yeast co2 system, where does the odor go? in the water? do you smell it in the room the tank is in? I'm about to make one myself.